• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door parts

wgr4

I have been working on my LMTV doors and I am trying to find some of the little plastic grommets that hold the door lock.latch rods in place, I also listed a post in the parts wanted section but have had no response. Is there anyone out there that has some spares or is there a source that I can go to.

Many Thanks...

coachgeo

IMHO your best bet is to improvise. Comb hardware stores and auto part stores with an eye on... "hmmm"... "could I make that shelf item work"?

coachgeo

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking but cannot find them small enough....
Don't look for "them" look completely without the mindset of "them". See what is in electronics for example..... some kind of wire clamp orr??? Think your going to have to go "out of the box"

Someone has posted on this before. Not sure what to search by to find the thread though.

coachgeo

Last edited:

ghog50cal

I got an assorted pack of push nuts and none of them seam too work I’ve tried all kinds of stuff and still can’t get anything too hold them in

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use your favorite search engine and look for 1/8” door lock rod clip. There are a lot of different styles, I need to order a some myself so I can’t recommend a specific one. They are cheap though…

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part of the issue on my door rods is the rod isn’t quite long enough to support the plastic clip that goes through the hole. That leads to the plastic giving way. I may TIG a small extension on a couple of the problematic rods. Or just bend up new material. It’s lower on my priority list than some other issues I have, but that’s my plan.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just some info.

Numbers 18 and 21.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I intend to at some point figure out the exact part number for the metal rod clips from the Auveco catalog......

But I bought an assortment that Dorman sells and if you compress the rod retainers a bit with pliers to grip the rod size used in the FMTV doors they work perfectly in place of the plastic ones. I upgraded both my doors when I had them apart - mine is an A1R but should be the same for the clips on the older trucks.

Each assortment has the clips for one door. Again if you figure out the dimensions they can be ordered from Auveco or bought in smaller quantities from any hardware store that fills out their generic hardware cabinets with Auveco hardware. They are referred to as rod clips..... here's a search of the Auveco catalog that includes MANY options both metal and plastic - all that's required is some measurements and a call to any hardware store or automotive supply or even a shop - I order for my auto repair shop from the Auveco catalog through one of my distributors:

Rick

Ronmar

The door rods are a smaller than usual diameter. Bend some new rods out of stock that matches the diameter of the off the shelf clips. When I got my toyota handles out of the junk yard, I pulled a bunch of rods and clips at the same time to make new rods(Yard operator gave them to me:)) They work fine and are the right size for the clips to snap onto properly…

gslader

I order one package of each of the follow (they were just delivered today - haven't had a chance to try them out). Right now only my drivers side door is acting up. Currently the issue is that when I unlock the door it will open to first "catch" on the door release, then I need to unlock it again and activate the handle and the second catch will release. I think it maybe a length of throw issue on the exterior door handle?
(1x) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040CZ62G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details ;and
(1x) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040D2RL8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Third From Texas

I order one package of each of the follow (they were just delivered today - haven't had a chance to try them out). Right now only my drivers side door is acting up. Currently the issue is that when I unlock the door it will open to first "catch" on the door release, then I need to unlock it again and activate the handle and the second catch will release. I think it maybe a length of throw issue on the exterior door handle?
(1x) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040CZ62G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details ;and
(1x) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040D2RL8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
A0/A1/A1R? The old style handles or the new ones?

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Third From Texas

I've used the OEM plastic and the old Ford style (that BAE used in the A1R trucks).

The best solution I came up with was to tack-weld a tiny washer onto the rod. Everything else I've tried has come loose or broke at some point except the washers. If I ever need them off, I can pop them off with a pair of plyers, but the ones that I have tacked on have never failed.

:)

Last edited:

coachgeo

I've used the OEM and the old Ford style (that BAE used in the A1R trucks).

The best solution I came up with was to tack-weld a tiny washer onto the rod. Everything else I've tried has come loose or broke at some point except the washers. If I ever need them off, I can pop them off with a pair of plyers, but the ones that I have tacked on have never failed.

:)
problem with that is you have no sacrificial part. So you wear via metal to metal the rod or the worse.... the door latch mechanism. Plastic clips are sacrificial.. sure in 20 years you will have to replace them likely.... but they won't have wobbled out the hole in the latch either.

granted if you still have the oem door handles; something else in the handle/latch will break in the next 100 uses or less anyway so "sacrificial clips" is a mute point. If your replacing your handles with new design or NOS ones.... that is a different matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks