• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door switch for courtesy on M1008

bwilson7990

The plan: Looking to use some grounding switches in the door jam to illuminate the under-dash courtesy lights and dome light. With the door switches acting as a ground for a relay, when the door(s) open the relay will close and the feed spliced in after the headlight switch will turn on the courtesy lights. This way, twisting of the headlight control switch will still work as normal to illuminate the lights from inside but the lights will come on when either door is opened.

The Problem: Looks like there is already a hole of some kind in the door jam with a plug in it. This space behind where the plug is seems to be in a slim space between the inner and outer cab structure at the floorboard where the oval-shaped, manual vents are found (both driver's and passenger's). If I was to pop that plug out of the door jam where I am assuming the grounding switch would go, does anyone know how I would get a wire through there without obstructing the vents or even where that space goes? I only need to run a single, small guage wire in there but it seems so tight that significant disassembly might be necessary.

Anyone ever done this before or know how it's done on the civilian k30? I'll continue my research and post if I find anything substantial elsewhere on the net. I'll also try to get a better picture than the one attached.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The courtesy lights have 12V piped to them all the time. The pin switches in the door jambs just complete the ground so the lights illuminate. Unless you plan on some high draw interior lights, doing it like the factory will work just fine and is painfully simple.

bwilson7990

The courtesy lights have 12V piped to them all the time. The pin switches in the door jambs just complete the ground so the lights illuminate. Unless you plan on some high draw interior lights, doing it like the factory will work just fine and is painfully simple.
Oh yeah.. you're right. Well I'm embarrassed; I've only looked at the diagrams 1000 times. I can't believe that I didn't realize that the headlight switch is simply grounding the courtesy circuit. Okay so all I need to do is connect the door switches to the white 156-A circuit and it will work as desired.

So I still need to get a wire back into that tiny space where the door jam ground switch will go. Thoughts on that? Feed a metal hanger in there and try to find the other end of it? lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I've not really checked into it. I think you can gain some access by removing the foot vent trimage.

bwilson7990

I agree. The problem is the emergency brake assembly is in the way of getting to the highest screws on that trimage. Probably the best idea tho, I'll dig into it tomorrow and let you know.

blackhueys

If you reach way up on the inside behind the dash there is a opening that was used by the factory its almost right behind the gen lights. fish your wire down thru that hole and jiggle it around some till you see it in the factory hole for the pin switches then grab it with a pick or some stiff wire to pull it through. I did this on my truck takes only a few minutes each side. Easiest way is to remove the dash not hard about 4 screws above glove box maybe one screw that's on the passenger side you can see it after that door is open. also need to remove the instrument cluster cover just a few screws there as well then lift up on center of dash and wiggle it lightly back and forth and pull out as there are some spring clips that hold the front in. I replaced my whole harness for a civi one not to long ago due to someone hacking up the original wiring.

bwilson7990

If you reach way up on the inside behind the dash there is a opening that was used by the factory its almost right behind the gen lights. fish your wire down thru that hole and jiggle it around some till you see it in the factory hole for the pin switches then grab it with a pick or some stiff wire to pull it through. I did this on my truck takes only a few minutes each side. Easiest way is to remove the dash not hard about 4 screws above glove box maybe one screw that's on the passenger side you can see it after that door is open. also need to remove the instrument cluster cover just a few screws there as well then lift up on center of dash and wiggle it lightly back and forth and pull out as there are some spring clips that hold the front in. I replaced my whole harness for a civi one not to long ago due to someone hacking up the original wiring.
You are my hero. Thank you so much for this. She's sitting completely disassembled lol so this will be cake. Much appreciated!

bwilson7990

I was unable to find a hole that would run down to the backside of the factory door switch hole. It seemed that there was either a lot of insulation in there or there's a piece of metal that blocks the vertical path completely. I'll have to really get in there and see what's going on.

Skinny

I never even thought of interior dome lamps and door switches before. I'm thinking if you can get the door switches installed, you could wire up a system to have some door lights as well. Some cheapo LED's on the bottom of the door skin to illuminate the ground when you step out or under the rocker facing down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did all the rear lights in my SECM, they were all LEDs. All have power all the time and circuit completed with the grounds. Not done yet but pin switches on all the compartment doors so that they have lights. Might as well add door pin switches.

48cj2a

Its been a while but...I believe the upper hole on the left routed the dome lamp and the lower left was the door jamb wiring. The upper on the right was A/C equipment kick panel vacuum lines and lower door jamb switch wiring on Civy GM trucks.

cabholes.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use cheap Harbor Freight magnetic 27 LED flashlights in my M1009. I leave them attached to the ceiling of my truck. The magnets are strong enough to hold them to the ceiling under normal driving. When I need light, I reach up and turn them on. Simple, cheap, and easy solution. :)
http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklightflashlight-62532.html

When I turn my headlight switch counter clockwise, a bulb on the bottom of the dash turns on. Does your M1008 have a bulb on the bottom of the dash?

bwilson7990

Yeah I actually have two courtesy lights mounted under the dash and the headlight switch controls them as you described. All I plan to add is the door switches which are just additional grounding points for the courtesy circuit.

48cj2a- Thank you for the pictures! I found the holes you pointed out but when trying to fish a wire down inside of it, it wasn't actually going down inside the layers of the cab structure, it was just popping back into the interior space.

It seemed to me like there was something inside of the layers of the cab structure which were blocking me from being able to run a wire down through there.... I'll have to try a little harder and see if I can't make it work. I even tried using a metal hanger but I couldn't find a clear passage in there.

Last edited:

bwilson7990

I never even thought of interior dome lamps and door switches before. I'm thinking if you can get the door switches installed, you could wire up a system to have some door lights as well. Some cheapo LED's on the bottom of the door skin to illuminate the ground when you step out or under the rocker facing down.
I love this idea. That would be so cool to do. If I can find a decent place to run the wires to and from the door I will probably do this. If so, I'll record and post my work.

bwilson7990

When I did all the rear lights in my SECM, they were all LEDs. All have power all the time and circuit completed with the grounds. Not done yet but pin switches on all the compartment doors so that they have lights. Might as well add door pin switches.
Now that shes off the battlefield the automatic courtesy lights on door switches will be quite a luxury :) I'll keep this thread updated if I come across any concrete solutions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks