• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doorless

Pballer71

So I was thinking about making a quick release door hinge? So i could take my doors off in the summer when it gets hot. I was wondering if anyone has done this? If I do this I will just follow these instructions Quick Release Door Hinge Pins
I just want to know what you guys think and if i did this would it be legal and if it's illegal what could i do to make it legal?

Thanks

KsM715

You might need to check into some sort of raised area at the floor to keep loose items from rolling out. I have heard (but never confirmed) that it is the law in some states. You will also need side mirrors when going doorless. That is the law in most states. (Ask me how I know)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman has done something similar with his M715.

He used a set of doors and made half doors. I'll see if I can find some pics.

twlinks

Good write-up link there. Should be able to fab up a set of "safari doors" like I had for my jeep too, which would take care of the "no door" thing and also a place for a mirror. Might have to add this to my list. ;)

Pballer71

The half doors look sweet but ya i knew the mirror had to be there and didn't know what to do about that i was thinking maybe like a mirror with a suction cup and mount it to the outside. And then for the door maybe like a net and just drill a hole on one side and hook it to that and just out it on the door hinge.

richingalveston

got some doors, i was going to trash,

I may have to hang on to my spare doors now that this idea has been thrown out there.

pballer71, without the doors I would highly recomend some fender flares if you wheel it. You will get covered with crap when in the mud. This is what I hate most about my jeep that has 31 inch tires . no offroad without top and doors.
Ofcourse for a street, beech cruzer it would be cool.

Barrman

I love the roadster doors on the M715. Lots more air in the summer and great visibility on the trails. However, as pointed out above. Stuff does tend to land on my left thigh. I got stuck behind a garbage truck on I-410 around San Antonio a few years ago. Some kind of really nasty smelling liquid was leaking out. I had to smell that smell for the rest of the weekend since we were on our way out into the hills for camping and wheeling.

Your state will vary, but if Jeeps are legal with no doors, you probably are too. However, I tried running my M715 without doors first. I was having to hold my leg in all the time. The 1/2 doors keep my foot in, let my leg rest against something and make a great raised foot step for highway cruising.

I made mine so the mirror was still there and the outside door handle was still there. That doesn't leave that much room to enter and exit from. It is a BIG step up. Getting down is great through the gap though.

Basically, figure out if you want air flow, trail visibility, entry/exit ease or whatever as your main goal and make what fits that goal work.

Oh, Jeff and Joe. Thanks for thinking of my truck when this came up.

Anubis8472

One thing to keep in mind if you do any off-road with the doors off, you may want to look into fab'ing a support to run from the hinges to the door latch.

Just a couple tubes to support the body and keep it from flexing.
I've seen guys 'wheel' with the doors off, then later they can't get the doors back on because the body shifted a little.

Pballer71

I may have to hang on to my spare doors now that this idea has been thrown out there.

pballer71, without the doors I would highly recomend some fender flares if you wheel it. You will get covered with crap when in the mud. This is what I hate most about my jeep that has 31 inch tires . no offroad without top and doors.
Ofcourse for a street, beech cruzer it would be cool.
I completely agree with you i was thinking about some mud flaps and still thinking what i could do with the door i was thinking maybe bending some 2" pipe into a door. and does anyone have any ideas for a mirror?

Anubis8472

You know ... how about this ...

Take a junk set of sun visors, strip the visor itself.
Bend the bar to fit, and mount a couple little round roadster type mirrors on the ends.

When you remove your doors, swap your visors for mirrors.
If it wants to swing around to much you could mount a plastic clip for hood support rods up there to clip it in the proper position.

Anubis8472

Just unscrew the current visors and install the 'mirror visor arm' in it's place.
I havn't taken a visor apart in some time so I may be overestimating the length of the metal arm ... but it's worth a shot if you have access to some junk visors.

I'm just thinking that's what I would do to avoid drilling any more holes in the body.

You could also fab a mount for a set of mirrors that you can install into the door pin, but that would take more fab-skills.

Last edited:

Pballer71

Thats what i was thinking with the doors hinges because i actually installed some visors that are from the Ford Raptor cause the ones in it were shot when i got my M1009. Ill probably figure something out for the door for a project in one of my autos classe when i'm done with our corvette project.

wjruth

Several states require a lip along the edge of the door to prevent objects from rolling out - those tube doors have a plate on the bottom to make them legal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks