• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dorman oil cooler lines in depth Review

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like an opinion to me. If you have specific details that might help other members, post them up. Why are they garbage?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be dozens of threads covering these parts.

Have you discovered something that has not been posted before(is that why you started a new thread, rather than ad to an existing one?).

Last edited:

Mg84648

Looks like an opinion to me. If you have specific details that might help other members, post them up. Why are they garbage?
All reviews are opinions.
My experience with them today led me to this conclusion. For example, the lower rigid line bends were not even close to OEM and in no way shape or form would they be able to be clamped in the original spot. The swages were absolutely horrid on both ends and the aluminum felt like un-heat treated O. They were really bad.
I would catagorize these oil cooler lines as being "high risk". Failure would result in catastrophic engine damage.

Last edited:

sschaefer3

I though they were terrible too, but I got them to work and they are still on there. I need to get a set of the Delco ones.

Mg84648

I ended up ordering the Delco hoses from rockauto after searching threads as so routinely suggested by Doghead.
So with $54 invested in Dorman trash and $114 in Delco hoses I'm hoping they will last for a while. I would consider returning the Dormans but unfortunately they are in "less than returnable" condition;) so I'll be eating that cost.
I had considered AN fittings and steel braid but things have changed here at work and its not as easy to have things made. Also the whole 12 hour nights, 6 days a week work thing is getting in the way of taking them to a shop.

diesel583

All I can add is they cost me a engine when an end broke off. They were 1 week old. Had a local hydraulic shop make up some lines, working good after 4 years.

welpro222

I cut my old hoses off at the 1/2" aluminum tubes, then flared the ends and slipped on 1/2 oil cooler hose with quality hose clamps. About $40 in cost, and just time removing the tube to flare it.

cucvrus

That will work every time. Good old American ingenuity. I done it to several CVPI Fords that had leaking lines. Fords answer was $300. + It ended up costing about $25. in parts.

welpro222

My option is nice because you can do road side repairs if it leaks and also loop them together if there is an oil leak at the radiator end. I will probably double hose clamp the hose ends just for extra insurance.

welpro222

I used the dorman hoses on my first truck, there hoses feel like cheap heater hose (soft and thin), so I slid 1 inch heater hose over them and clamped the ends to protect and prevent blow outs. The hydraulic hoses seem like a bullet proof way of doing it, but it just seemed way overkill and cost over $100 in parts. I consider the oil cooler hoses to be a maintenance part anyways, so I will change them every few years anyways.

cucvrus

I cut my old hoses off at the 1/2" aluminum tubes, then flared the ends and slipped on 1/2 oil cooler hose with quality hose clamps. About $40 in cost, and just time removing the tube to flare it.
When I did my hose change to the CUCV I took the trusty grinder and ground thru the crimps and the tubes had barbs on the ends. I just slipped the hoses on and the ends and used the spring clamps that I purchased at the air compressor parts store and the air / oil hose they use on industrial compressors. Still working.

Mg84648

Update: The Acdelco lines showed up today and they installed easily. Although one was made in Mexico and the other in China, the flex hose, tubing and swaging were near identical to the originals removed. The overall quality was light years ahead of the Dormans. The bends lined up with the lower clamp and installed in 20 minutes or so.
On a high risk part such as this I'm happy with the outcome.

number9er

Update: The Acdelco lines showed up today and they installed easily. Although one was made in Mexico and the other in China, the flex hose, tubing and swaging were near identical to the originals removed. The overall quality was light years ahead of the Dormans. The bends lined up with the lower clamp and installed in 20 minutes or so.
On a high risk part such as this I'm happy with the outcome.
Do you happen to still have the part number so I can be sure I get the right ones if I go that route. I'm leaning toward cucvrus's fix, but if it's an easy install I might order the AC Delcos.

By the way, do you have to drain any oil to install new hoses?