• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dot 3 or Dot 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustystud

Found this; no idea if it is correct: "General Motors and Chrysler do not mention brake fluid in their scheduled maintenance recommendations. A General Motors spokesman said Delco Supreme 11 DOT 3 brake fluid contains additives than many other brake fluids do not, so it is essentially a lifetime fluid. Starting in 1993, GM began using a new type of rubber brake hose with an EPM lining and outer jacketing that reduces moisture penetration by 50%. So GM does not consider fluid contamination to be a significant problem."
Jason I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. All the OLD manuals say to drain your brake fluid every 2 years. Of course I read the service manuals, not just the owners manuals. Now if GM has made a newer system that does not need bi-yearly purging, that's great, but the question remains, why did they have to go to this NEW system if the OLD system worked so well ? As far as the military going to DOT 4 , well I already told you Silicone fluid cannot not be used in anti-lock brake systems. It will foam when the valve cycles rapidly, causing cavitation in the system. All modern vehicles use anti-lock brakes now, that includes the military and vehicles with air systems too. I can personally tell you working on anti-lock brakes on a buss is a royal pain in the A@@ . Since it is a public transit vehicle it must meet all state and federal regulations. Redundancy after redundancy ! So many valves so little time. LOL.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time the lid or cover on the MC is removed to check the fluid level, air enters the system from the outside allowing moisture to enter the system, and additionally from venting. As the temperature drops, water condenses and immediately mixes with glycol-based brake fluid. Over a period of time, the glycol-based fluid will accumulate water, which can cause corrosion. Additionally, as the water content increases in glycol-based fluids, the flash point is lowered, which can cause the fluid to boil at a lower temperature. This can be a problem for vehicles that experience heavy braking and where elevated brake temperature develop. I agree that DOT 5 should not be used with ABS systems, but for non-ABS vehicles DOT 5 is much better. I don't know what the correct frequency for replacement of DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 fluid should be, but I believe it should b e replaced periodically.

dabtl

The truck was in civilian hands for a long time. He said it was used in hollywood, who knows maybe it was, but it is looking very rough right now.

What is a reasonable price for dot 5?

There might be a small amount of fluid left in the old booster. I'll check.

I was hoping that if I bled the booster I might not need to bleed each wheel cylinder, but I have no experience with this.
Eastern Surplus had the best DOT 5 price recently. Full gallon, $54 and shipping.

rolling18

think I major effed up!
I JUST found this thread AFTER I refilled my M/C w/ DOT 5!!! (purple)

I could not tell the color of the fulid already in because there was almost NONE in there!!!
looks like it was a bright yellow
Please I hope I didnt fuq up my system!!

just did this a day or so ago (did restore my low break pedal) heh

welldigger

think I major effed up!
I JUST found this thread AFTER I refilled my M/C w/ DOT 5!!! (purple)

I could not tell the color of the fulid already in because there was almost NONE in there!!!
looks like it was a bright yellow
Please I hope I didnt fuq up my system!!

just did this a day or so ago (did restore my low break pedal) heh
Dot 5 turns yellow with age. That doesn't mean that's what's in there but you can't go by color.

rolling18

hmm maybe I should just flush out the 5...
tired of megga priced fluids my cars tranny fluid is $65 quart!!! 10 qt for tranny!!!

cant keep spenin' $$$ on fluids! heh

rolling18

Nissan Gt-r only spec. thEBAY 65 dealer 80!!!
(no i dindt know the maint. cost b4 I bought the car .. lol:x

much like the Deuce, it's a "pay to play" vehicle!!2cents

rolling18

in my case every 30K miles, not exactly lifetime grr ..don't even bother looking at other maint. you could buy many Deuces! lol
diff. fluid is 45 a quart.

rustystud

Rolling18, I would check my owners manual for the SAE specifications needed by the manufacturer. After you determine what it needs you can go online and find the exact fluids for much cheaper then buying the "Factory" fluids. This has been a scam from manufactures for decades. Right now the only transmission that "has" to have a specific fluid is the Hybrid from "Alison" . Of course this transmission costs over $30,000 .
As far as changing from the Military's Dot 5 silicone brake fluid, I wouldn't. Silicone is a far superior brake fluid to any other. The only exception is in a anti-lock brake system. The silicone fluid will foam. Silicone fluid will also last decades if needed too, while all others will fail due to water absorption. Plus it lubricates the rubber seals.

rolling18

Rolling18, I would check my owners manual for the SAE specifications needed by the manufacturer. After you determine what it needs you can go online and find the exact fluids for much cheaper then buying the "Factory" fluids. This has been a scam from manufactures for decades. Right now the only transmission that "has" to have a specific fluid is the Hybrid from "Alison" . Of course this transmission costs over $30,000 .
As far as changing from the Military's Dot 5 silicone brake fluid, I wouldn't. Silicone is a far superior brake fluid to any other. The only exception is in a anti-lock brake system. The silicone fluid will foam. Silicone fluid will also last decades if needed too, while all others will fail due to water absorption. Plus it lubricates the rubber seals.
Thanks for the info rusty, as far as my own car your are right about "other" than nissan fluid, my tranny is almost 30K as well.. i have found a couple others not much less $$$ $500 for 4 gals.

anyway back to the topic at hand. DEUCE! so I should continue to flush/ use the dot5 ... hope i did not damage aything yet. IF i mixed wrong fluids.

rustystud

It would take time to cause damage from mixing fluids. The fluids do not mix or combine so if you drain and flush out your system you should be fine.
Your transmission in your Nissan costs $30,000 ? What are you driving ? As far as the Hybrid Alison, the core costs $30,000 . I forgot what the whole unit goes for. I just remember that if you screwed up the housing bolts the core cost $30,000. Plus what it would take to rebuild it. The 2 internal motor magnets are put in at the casting of the case. They never come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks