• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT 5 color

Tackettr

Does DOT 5 brake fluid have a particular color? Fluid in my master cylinder is yellowish and was told it was DOT 5. I just thougth the military did a different color than the purple stuff I have from NAPA. Or do I have so other DOT in my truck?

Reactions: HDN

scooter01922

I think that the DOT 5 turns that nasty color once it gets old. Have yet to see it myself but thats what i have heard around here.

FormerNewMVGuy

It seems to turn color very quickly once in the system, Also i made a bleeder out of a garden sprayer, and left some dot five in it, Turned from purple to yellow in about a days time.

• Wow

sprucemt

There is dot 5 1010 and dot 5 1018. In the steel can one is purple, one is yellowish brown. The purple dot 5 in the sealed plastic jug turns yellowish brown when the dye is absorbed into the plastic.

• Wow

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bleeder has had BFS in it for years, never turns. It always turns colors in the truck. FWIW I have BFS in plastic jugs and cans and it's all looked pretty much the same so far.

FormerNewMVGuy

Recovry4x4 said:
My bleeder has had BFS in it for years, never turns. It always turns colors in the truck. FWIW I have BFS in plastic jugs and cans and it's all looked pretty much the same so far.
Well mine turned color in my bleeder pretty quickly, It stay purple in the metal can, but when i put it in my bleeder it turns yellow in about a days time,

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Having had an analytical chemical lab do some testing on DOT 5 and DOT 3, I can say with absolute certainty that if you mix the two, the purple color moves to the DOT3, leaving the DOT 5 clear.

Something to remember.

Regards,
David Doyle

• Wow