• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT numbers on 5 tons?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm sure somebody has talked about this but I have a helluva time searching on Tapatalk. Does anybody here that actually uses their 5 tons have dot numbers on them? Short of one's running a commercial business with one? I have a neighbor trying to stir up some trouble over me owning my m925 and having Farm plates on it. I do farm and use it for farming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
With Farm Plates it looks like you need DOT numbers >
http://www.mnla.org/files/u2/2011.FarmerGuide.pdf
From the above link:

M
ichigan
F
a r M e r

s
T
r a n s p o r
T a T i o n
g
u i d e b o o k
December 2010
VEHICLE STANDARDS
Vehicle Identification
(FMCSR 390.21)
If the vehicle meets the federal definition of a commercial motor vehicle (see page 2), it must display the company’s
name and USDOT number on both sides of the power unit. The identification/marking must be in a contrasting color
and legible from at least 50 feet. However, for intrastate transportation the identification/marking requirements do
not apply to a truck with a gross vehicle weight of less than 10,000 lbs. that is eligible for and registered under a farm
license plate (regular farm plate or special farm plate).
A commercial vehicle with an actual gross weight or GVWR of more than 5,000 lbs. but less than 10,000 lbs. that
does not have a farm license plate is required to display the company name, city, and state, or the registered logo or
emblem, on both sides, in a contrasting color, no less than 3” in height (MVC 257.723). Vehicles between 5,000 lbs. and
10,000 lbs. may choose to comply with the federal name and USDOT # requirements in lieu of displaying the company
name, city, and state. This section does not apply to vehicles used exclusively for personal use. Farm operations are
considered in commerce. There is no prohibition against using a vehicle displaying identification and/or a USDOT
number for personal use. Implements of husbandry are exempt from USDOT number requirements.
To obtain an intrastate USDOT number, go to
http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov
/
or call the Motor Carrier Division of Michigan
Public Service Commission at 888-464-8736. To obtain an interstate USDOT number, go to
http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov
/
or call 800-832-5660. Intrastate means you do not cross state lines in commerce; interstate means you cross state or
national borders in commerce. Registration information can be accessed and updated at any time using the online
registration.

Thanks guys I'm really leaning towards calling and seeing if a cmv officer will come right out here and set me in the right direction. There's a lot of grey areas in the law I've read that depend solely on what they want to enforce and where they draw the line.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys I'm really leaning towards calling and seeing if a cmv officer will come right out here and set me in the right direction. There's a lot of grey areas in the law I've read that depend solely on what they want to enforce and where they draw the line.

That is probably your best bet . Sanilac, Lapeer and Tuscola counties are the worst in the state for truck enforcement , all of them have county motor carrier officers who want to ensure enough revenue that their jobs don't get cut.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming the truck is titled in your or the farms business name. Do you have an income/pay taxes from farming? Just want to make sure you don't get yourself in a catch 22...

Yes the truck is titled and plated in my name and I do file taxes from my farming. My parents also own a farm which it gets used for on occasion as well

acme66

I do and have a DOT number on the door for commercial INTRA-state operations not INTER-state operations. Means I can't run the truck commercially outside MT's border. In all honesty I would be afraid of driving the truck outside MT at all for fear of how the DOT inspections would go. The truck is a truck and if you are going to use commercially then you have to meet commercial standards, all of them every time. End the end it is just a flatbed truck and the enforcement will see it as such. Just meet the DOT rules for a comparable flatbed. That might mean bumper height, reflective surfaces, caution lights, paint, reflective vest, ride height, step height, door locks, keyed ignition and such. Whatever the collective DOT forces have dreamed up for your state over the decades I don't think I personalty would bother unless I needed a full commercial truck. If you want to keep stock appearance AND use it commercial that could be hard.

I have manged to do it but MT is very lenient so I am sure you are better off not getting general advice. MT will even allow me to register a GVW of less than 26,000. I live in fear of MCS pullover/inspections simply because no one seems to know what to make of the trucks or what laws apply. When we started I was told I HAD to paint a no standing line at the front of the bed to be legal despite having a separate driving compartment. If you look right at the far end of the bed, under the seats I have a painted line. The books said it had to have one to haul passengers so that is what we did. In the end the truck is DOT'd as a limousine and MT allows novelty limousines. Strange world. It is the only way I could do it. MT laws assume if you are hauling more than a few passengers then the transport is a bus so the laws for passenger transportation are written for buses. I can never meet those. Ever, it isn't a bus.

Ken

wcuhillbilly

Wyo, MT and ID. are fairly leaniant on the regs. I run my 816 wrecker commercially thus Like Acme66 I have a INTRA state DOT# with the USDOT. I am supposed to have the number painted on the truck below my business name,, but haven't gotten around to it.... I run locally and 99% of the time I have just my dozer intow to a new job site, or Im running the truck up to get fuel in it. The USDOT is a bit more lenient on the INTRA state than the state sometimes. and if you go with a USDOT # it will cost you $300 now. 2 years ago it was free-$50... If Im hauling for hire, then the State wants a wrecker inspection and a "Operator Authority" which comes with Insurance requirements. I meet the insurance requirement but the wrecker inspection is an iffy matter requiring certain lights and hooks etc that I cant realy afford right now. THus I can assist another wrecker company as a subcontractor, or be called by an individual for an independent tow, and even do onsite recovery, but until I get a few other things fixed I cannot pass inspection and be on the Highway Patrols on call list.... SO I don't fish in that pond.

Likely as not once you get through the regs and the chat with the CMV dept you will likely be in the clear, however you must not get caught doing anything outside what you can legally defend.... don't haul for hire and call it farm... that gets us all in trouble...

Tags.. I tag mine as a 1970 Kaiser model XM816 wrecker/specialty bed truck weight 36k. tag office didn't have anything like it on file, thus they had to come up with something. I kept my mouth shut about ex military, as that is the biggest way to get tossed out of the office.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks