• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Double your air, double your impacts......

Boatcarpenter

I'm sure this won't be the end all and be all, but it will help some.
BC

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OOH, that's great idea! I know where there are a bunch of tanks and straps.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Double your air, double your impacts......

WillWagner said:
OOH, that's great idea! I know where there are a bunch of tanks and straps.
Are you talkin' about Fontana???? See you gotta go next weekend.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How did you determine that there would be no clearance issues with the driveshaft when the front axle is at maximum articulation angle?

I ask because I'd like to move my electric pump for the dump bed down there so that I can put a second spring ride in my cab......

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Fontana. No, can't go, too much stuff to do here, and short on funds. this month.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I have been planning something like this, but I want to add another compressor so it doesn't take 40 min to build pressure at first startup. Have you timed how long it takes to get pressure? I'd like to know.

Boatcarpenter

jimk- I think you are probably right there. It will only give me a little longer use at the pressure available. The impact wrench I use mostly on the Deuce system is a 90PSI max tool.
580- I'll let you know! I wondered about that myself, but it seemed to me that each tank should empty into the line at equal pressure and any moisture should be expelled. Any residual moisture will only sit in the brass fittings or the nylon tubing.
clinto- I dragged up some trig, geometry, ratio and proportion stuff from my memory bank and figured where the driveshaft would be at my various low points along the way and the numbers indicate it's close but should clear.Again, I'll let you know! Where the brackets are attached on the passenger side I spaced them up off the frame rail about an inch or so. Could go a little more if necessary. I was planning on driving the truck onto some object that will raise the front tandem on that side up to the rubber bumper on the frame just to check. It may work or it may be back to the drawing board! At this point I think it will work.
gimpyrobb- I'll let you know.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
My belt was due so I got a longer one to slow my compressor down (tryng to get all the HP I can to the wheels). I don't mind the slow fill, but really need to find that slow leak. One could go the other way for a tad more air. JimK

Boatcarpenter

Driveshaft clearance

clinto- drove the truck on blocks to check clearance. My numbers were very close and so is the driveshaft to the drain lines. Will bump up the spacers under the pass. side end of the mounting brackets another 1/2 to 3/4 inch which should give ample clearance. I guess the best way for you to install your pump etc. would be to drive the front tandem onto blocks until it fetches up against the rubber stops and install things in that position. It appears that if everything is above the bottom of the frame rail there should be plenty of clearance. Hope this helps in some small way. :D

Gimp- forgot to time the air press. :( Will do that shortly
BC

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Driveshaft clearance

how does this get you any more air pressure?? as to the comp belt, the compressor uses less than 1.5 hp so you are splitting straws now, you may have reduced the hp draw by .01 . bottom line is if you are going to use a lot of air, fit a larger compressor or put bigger pistons in the stock one.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Is one of these an air pig with a big hose and fitting? I could imagine that would be useful for using a larger impact. It would certainly save space in the bed by having the air pig mounted.

Boatcarpenter

M-35tom- if you are asking me that question, the answer is that it does not give me more air pressure. It only gives me more volume at truck pressure for slightly longer initial bursts on my 1/2 inch impact gun.
BC

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

BC, nice project. Put checkvalves in the system so that you'll have reserve air for braking in case the compressor fails.
Don't count on the rubber bumpers to be the end of deflection, they have been smashed at least once on my deuce.

houdel

Re: RE: Driveshaft clearance

cranetruck said:
Put check valves in the system so that you'll have reserve air for braking in case the compressor fails.
Good point, I was going to ask the same question myself. The stock setup uses a check valve between the two tanks, boatcarpenters setup would defeat the safety margin in the original design. Need those check valves to allow a little grace period if the compressor takes a dump.

Boatcarpenter

Bjorn, as I'm sure you already know, the 2nd tank over from the drivers side receives air from the compressor at the front end of the tank and exits the rear end of the tank, passes through a check valve into the first tank which supplies the airpack and the air operated items. I left that all intact. The two new tanks are really just added on to the second tank. I contemplated plumbing two tanks that were protected by the check valve but thought that due to leak potential, one was better.
I was wondering about those bumpers, if they would actually prevent any more upward travel. I bumped up the spacers on the pass side under the brackets so I have plenty of clearance I think. Got dark and didn't have time to test again.
BC

Attachments