• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Double your air, double your impacts......

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few mock up pics of my first idea. The two extra tanks would go all the way in the rear and hang from the bed's cross braces. I could use just the U pieces or cut and mod the original mount and use all long grade 8 bolts. Pay no attention to the current drains or fittings. That will be worked out once they are in place. They are clear of all the drive line pieces and no holes would be drilled in the frame only the bed.

These tanks WILL NOT be a part of the braking system. I have already tapped into the current inboard tank on top with a high flo air hose QD and plugged my hose reel into it. That way if the hose ever got cut I could simply unplug it and the tank is sealed.

If I mount the tanks in the rear I would tap into the same spot and run a line to a valve (probably in the rear inside of the cab (I have two single seats, no bench). From the valve I could run air hose to the tanks and connect the hose reel to them. When I want to use the hose reel I simply open the valve and let the extra tanks fill.

Anyway, just a rough draft idea. Comments welcome. My goal is extra air without extra danger.

Attachments

jesusgatos

I've got a bunch of extra air tanks too, and I'm planning to use some of them to store fluids, but that doesn't really matter. Spent a lot of time crawling around under mah deuce, and figured out that I can fit one of those air tanks between each of the crossmembers, mounted parallel to the framerails, on the inside of the passenger's-side framerail. There's just enough room to squeeze them in there and they should clear the driveshafts just fine when the suspension compresses. Much more room down the length the inside of driver's-side framerail and between the framerails behind the rear axle, but I've got plans to utilize those spaces for storing other things.

ApopkaFL

Banned
I have a train horn I was going to install a tank just for it, With check vaule. I am going to put in a semi trailer brake air vaule for it. The ones that are on the steering that the driver can pull to lock the brakes if the trailer trys to jack around. So I can give the horns any amount of air I want. This will reduce using all the air at once like most horns do. Does that make sense?

Boatcarpenter

Just for the record, a couple of weeks ago I drained three of my air tanks in my system. Waited till all pressure released and then opened the drain valve for the tank with the check valve and it is still functioning.
Also, the filter before the tanks picks up some moisture and little bits of stuff occaisionally so that is doing its job also.
BC