• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Douglas connector change

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what year the change from Douglas to Packard connectors happened?

Barrman

I'm sure there was a time when somebody decided "Now we only use these." However, I think it was more of a gradual change as new models came out and rebuilds of old trucks occured.

M35's came with Douglas.
M37's came with Douglas and even those rebuilt in the early '60's stayed Douglas.

M151's however came with Packard. So did all the M715 series. All of us with M35A2's have Packard as well.

I would state that the solid state blinker, dual tail lights and Packard fittings all were part of the same change/upgrade fleet wide. Some came from the factory and the rest were either left alone or switched over with rebuilds.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M151's however came with Packard. So did all the M715 series.
Don't forget that while the M715 has packard connectors, the headlights use the Douglas connectors. I had to change out a headlight and switch the leads from the old headlight to the new one.

Mine is a '68

Barrman

The head lights on the M715 have been explained to me as probably a full warehouse meant for M38A1 use. They didn't use them all up so they got thrown onto the M715. The lowest bidder has to save money somehow.

The M715 ignition switch is just like the switch in all the other trucks, but with a Packard at the back. The stock wiring then went to a Douglas and then the rest of the truck except for the headlights is Packard. I noticed the same Packard style on/off on my 1953 Gasser M35 that then goes to a Douglas a few inches away with the rest of the truck Douglas. My 1952 has a Douglas on/off switch.

The M37, M34 and M135 all came out at about the same time. They also all had the then new and standardized 3 lever light switch. The M38A1 was another year or two away with the same switch. I personally think somebody decided to standardize the on/off switches as well and saw the Packard end as the way of the future. So, a pig tail kit was made to convert the new Packard backed on/off switch to all the Douglas trucks still in the inventory. By the time the M715 came along, the Toledo plant probably had thousands of the little pig tails sitting around after M38A1 production slowed down. Why throw them out when you can work them into a truck you are being paid for?

I may be way off, but that is my personal thinking on it.

Devildawg0369

Douglas Connector

My 1968 M37B1 has all Douglas connectors and I just got an unissued connector set that is dated 1961 with box and unopened containers along with crimp tools and push pins.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I should have clarified, I was talking about the deuce. What's the latest Douglas connected deuce anyone has? Or does D.D. have any input?

Westex

My 1968 M37B1 has all Douglas connectors and I just got an unissued connector set that is dated 1961 with box and unopened containers along with crimp tools and push pins.
I need some of these Douglas connectors. Where did you get them? (I need to wire in a couple of work lights I just purchased)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks