• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Downshift Switch

motormayhem

When is it supposed to send power to the solenoid? Mine will only do it if I stand on the throttle. If I just push it lightly to the floor it wont activate. At what point in the throttle position is it supposed to activate? Also where can I get a new one?

Johnn Bravo

Only works for me when I mash the peddle into the floor, think they're set up for WOT only and can't be adjusted either. If you're looking for it to get up to speed faster I think it depends on the truck and how the transmission is set up. My one M1009 pulls hard all the way and gets up to speed good without kicking down I believe, my other M1009 is another story it likes to take it's time getting up to speed. The difference might be that the one transmission was rebuild and has a shift kit, while the other as far as I know hasn't been touched.

motormayhem

Ok, mine doesn't like to downshift on hills and really bogs before it does so I normally downshift it by hand. I dont like to push it to the floor much so that may be why it wont downshift. If it is loosing speed at 3/4 throttle I will just let it get below 35 and then drop it into 2nd by hand. I'm afraid to get the EGT's up since I don't have a pyro.

Johnn Bravo

I feel your pain, my newest M1009 does the same thing. I did have a bit of an air leak on the fuel filter base which fixing did give a little power back but I have yet to try going up a hill, still think it will be tough going.
My other M1009 has an engine form a '83 6.2L Suburban in it and a rebuilt transmission. It does hills and big hills without a problem and can pick up speed going up hill. I don't have to mash the peddle to the floor on that one to get it to downshift either. I'm not sure if it comes down to the transmission or something else, but if I ever get my new M1009 to do hills like my first one does I'll be sure to let you know what fixed the problem with hills.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part number is GM 1242101, about $25 at the dealership.

It is listed as item 11 from
Figure 49 - Headlamp, B/O Lamp and Taillamp Switches and Fuses
in the -34p

Johnn Bravo

I just got back from a trip, hitting the same big hills that I have with all my other trucks, and I didn't have too much of a problem this time. I was running between 55-60 MPH, puttered down to 50 MPH on one hill, another steep hill starting at the bottom I was able to get close to 50 MPH, but very slowly. Think what my issue was I had an air leak on the fuel filter base and somewhere else, but after tinkering with the filter I made a bit more power and could do hills. Also I did check for leaks and didn't find any, I knew I was missing the seal for the filter so that's the only reason I figured it out.
If your truck feels low on power you might be sucking air into the fuel system somewhere and that's where your problem is, so should try that first and see if you can find anything where you could have a leak.
It seems like you can do the hills better if you don't give it too much throttle and if you start to get it building power at the bottom of the hill and keep it building power on the way up, if you haven't tried building power before you start up the hill you should give that a shot and see if it helps at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks