• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drag Race Tranny

mudguppy

so why would you ponder about putting a race trans in a deuce? the multi puts out 130hp / 300 ft-lbs... you sure as chit don't need a race trans to cope with that.

pretty much any 3/4 ton and up auto trans will handle that 'power' (term used loosely) just fine. ... and probably a lot of the 1/2 ton trans.

and, btw, none of the trans mentioned thus far would fit in the ~22" long spot that the Spicer currently occupies.

plym49

There is a TON of misinformation in this thread, mostly aimed towards the Nitro ranks, which is odd, because it has absolutly NOTHING to do with MVs of any kind. That being said, I believe that a TH400 or 4L80e could be used with in a duece, although it would not be ideal. My thoughts would be that using a Gear Vendors OD/UD unit would make a TH400 more useable, and would afford the possibility of 6 gears, if used correctly. If built correctly, it would without a doubt be strong enough for the application, just not ideal. However, as mentioned previously, if one was disabled, and a manual trans would be difficult to operate, this may be an option.
Funny you should mention Gear Vendors. I've also wondered if one would fit in the rear driveline of a Deuce to squeeze out a few more mph on the highway.

Sandmann120

so why would you ponder about putting a race trans in a deuce? the multi puts out 130hp / 300 ft-lbs... you sure as chit don't need a race trans to cope with that.

pretty much any 3/4 ton and up auto trans will handle that 'power' (term used loosely) just fine. ... and probably a lot of the 1/2 ton trans.

and, btw, none of the trans mentioned thus far would fit in the ~22" long spot that the Spicer currently occupies.

I don't think the 'power' holding capacity is in question here, but more the power-to-weight relationship. That being said, would I consider putting a 700r4 in a duece? Not a chance in ****. That's the reason, if an automotive style trans was wanted, I would try to wedge a Th400 in there, and hope for the best.

spicergear

If we're talking about putting 3/4 and 1 ton civvy transmissions in AND discussing Gear Vendors units, why not just slap in a divorced NP205 and get 1410 yokes from Jesse at High Angle Drive...oops, put the GEAR VENDORS unit on the back of it then see if Jesse has one for that. :mrgreen:

They're a straight through drive for rear wheel and have the right drop (Chevy, Dodge, International) for the front driveshaft.

plym49

If we're talking about putting 3/4 and 1 ton civvy transmissions in AND discussing Gear Vendors units, why not just slap in a divorced NP205 and get 1410 yokes from Jesse at High Angle Drive...oops, put the GEAR VENDORS unit on the back of it then see if Jesse has one for that. :mrgreen:

They're a straight through drive for rear wheel and have the right drop (Chevy, Dodge, International) for the front driveshaft.
TY, it's good to learn what parts can work with what.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks