• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drash/GET Perkins 20KW no fuel problem

yrkhummer

OK here is a rough fuel consumption estimate based on the Perkins 404D-22TG

Power rating (of engine) Fuel Consumption Gal/ Hour
110% 2.46
100% 2.19
75% 1.61
50% 1.29

Last edited:

KenAndrew

hI folks.

I am in South Georgia and have a few of the units, this site has been fantastic. I am getting the units running and the difficulty with one unit is all explained on here. The pump rack.
Thanks all.

Ken Andrew

quartermeter

Hey Shawn, those TM's that Will uploaded are great, do know that things vary a bit from the manual (meaning manufacturers, and a couple of small things like an "extra" oil fill near the shroud on mine, some have them some don't). As usual, read the TM's, they are an easy read, but I worked my way through it with help from Jon (FL) and Will (CT). I had a thread as well where I was asking about things like batteries and turned into a progress sort of build.

20kw Generator - Drash / Applied trailer battery question

As they have said before. Drain everything (although I see your filters are gone), especially the fuel. If your hoses are bad, now is the time to do them. I thought I had a bad fuel line, and it turned out to be a little inline filter which Jon nailed on troubleshooting for me. I bought the original lines from the UK if you need them. This system is a little bit of a build on top of the other components. Start with the engine, then do the generator, then the AC. Mine is working wonderfully now. Jon also helped me recharge the system. I can help walk you through stuff as I'd like to pay it forward a bit, but if it gets over my head, Jon and Will will jump in. Those guys have several and have seen more problems.

Good luck on yours. Go slow. They are awesome! Congrats on your purchase.

Everyone's favorite question. What are you going to do with it? Mine is a bit for festivals and for my base-x tent (glamour camping at it's finest)
Has anyone had any problems with the Perkins engine? do they do as well as the Isuzu? I know a lot of the commercial Generators use the Isuzu and they go 20,000+ hours. I have a hanco close to me I may go look at.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Any creative solutions to repairing damaged resistance heater elements? Looks like a loose cover blew around in the wind bashed breaks in the heating element.

Milspec33

Problem fixed. The fuel rack was stuck. I had to pry the pump off the block. After talking to a local disel shop it seems that they have problems with this type of pump setting up when they dont get used for a long time. They reccomended that rather than just buy a new pump try soaking it in Stanadyne injector cleaner to free it up. I chose the hard way and took the pump apart. I cleaned and oil'd it. Put it together and back on then engine. Worked so well the engine went into runaway because i did not put the pump back together correctly. Found my problem and it now runs correctly. So if you get one of these and a no fuel ar the injectors tru soaking the pump to free up the rack. I think you could try a very light oil first to free it up and then soak it in motor oil once freed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Hi,
I know this is an older thread but hopefully you are still active. I had the same problem with my unit and took the injection pump apart and cleaned everything up just as you did and also experienced a runaway. What did you change when assembling the pump to correct the run away? It is just turning the plungers 180 degrees?
Thanks

87cr250r

Woodward EZGen is the gold standard, especially if you want to synchronize. Deep Sea Electronics makes a nice controller. We use those for our fleet. They are programmable to do whatever you need. They do require programming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks