• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drawbacks of HEMTT rims?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The "thimbles" threads torqued down stretch the bolt/stud. That is what holds it in place, not the face of the surfaces that meet. Yes, the hemtt rims weigh at least 150lbs.

bambambam22

I don't knowof I can ask this right or not but here goes. Ok on the front using the bud caps ( Thimbles ) will the lug nut be on a protion of the bed cap that is hollow or will the stud come out far enough that where the lug nut is it is on a stud/bud cap solid portion or a bud cap hollow portion. I am thinking it is hollow or the stud would be lond enough in the first place.

I am thinking it is best to use the biud cap since the stud hole in the Hemmit wheel is so large but I am thinking the correct way to would be to use longer stud bolts and bud caps. THis way you get a solid bud cap where the lug nut goes instead of a hollow one since the stud does not come out far enough.

Am I thinking right or am I over thinking this?

Thanks

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are two potential drawbacks:

First, are you concerned with accuracy (i.e., accurate in so far as the military used the rims on this truck)? If so, that would be a drawback as the HEMTT rims, as the name states, were made for the HEMTT. If historical accuracy is not important, and you are more after the monster truck look, then the HEMTT rims will serve you well. I know many guys who use them and love them. PM POWERHOUSEDEUCE...he has some 1600s on HEMTT rims on his M818 w/w and he absolutely loves them.

Second, do you have any hills to climb at highway speeds? If so, those large tires are going to sap every last ounce of power out of a truck that really has no top end torque anyway. I was driving with POWERHOUSEDEUCE this past weekend and he had to downshift constantly to maintain like 12 MPH on a fairly steep grade. Being in NY, I bet you have some hills near you!

LanceRobson

I'd also like to know if these trucks are actually being used with heavy loads off road. I sure don't see enough clearance for suspension articulation. Can someone with personal experience in working a truck with these off road please comment? We use ours off road a lot more than they are on road.

So, am I reading this right and can 14.00 tires be mounted on these rims?

Thanks

Lance

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lance, I have wondered the same thing...and especially on deuces where it looks like there might be an inch or two between the tire and the fender! Most guys who have them have commented on how they perform off-road, but their trucks are mainly empty.

M1075

In extreme circumstances, I can say that 47" tires on a deuce will rub the underside of the bed. I've done it crossing a ravine in a deuce grossing a little over 30,000#. I expect 53" tires on a 5 ton under a similar scenario might yield the same results.

rizzo

How much does a HEMTT wheel, no tire, just the wheel weigh?
Somewhere been said about 160 lbs.
Inquiring minds want to know!

148 pounds without the locking rings. according to the pallet scale at ABF freight dock in Port Huron. I did not inquire as to how often the scale was calibrated.

I also weighed a deuce rim with no lock rind and it was 98lbs

rizzo

In extreme circumstances, I can say that 47" tires on a deuce will rub the underside of the bed. I've done it crossing a ravine in a deuce grossing a little over 30,000#. I expect 53" tires on a 5 ton under a similar scenario might yield the same results.
I put a deuce bed on my M810 with 1600's and they rubbed with no weight in the bed.

derby

Yes ,those rims are about 150# each. I had six of them in the back of my Focus! I have the 15.5 385x20 on my bridge truck and have it in the creek flats pulling trees without any problems. With that said,the 385's are actualy smaller than the stock 14:00x20.

rizzo

Yes ,those rims are about 150# each. I had six of them in the back of my Focus! I have the 15.5 385x20 on my bridge truck and have it in the creek flats pulling trees without any problems. With that said,the 385's are actualy smaller than the stock 14:00x20.
how do you like that setup, now that you have had them on for a while? I was thinking of doing it with my M818. pulled any heavy loads on the road?

derby

I have only had it run around on the farm. it still has the big mail box getter on it. so I cant say one way or the other. I did get it stuck up to the diff ,had to winch myself out. it was kicking and screaming but was just too muddy. as far as the tires and rims they look better and seem to bite well.

laserlee123

The budcaps are Dayton 13-3005R & 13-3005L
Are the same as what was installed on the rear of my truck, so with the 800 series truck, 5 ton, don't bother buying new ones,, you already have them,,,,,

:driver:i agree with go hot 229 , question , are we talking about a adapter for 6to 10 lug , steel or alum??? allways looking for something i can make that no one offers , pm me i just milled adapters for 8 to 10 lug ,putting supersingles on a one ton chassis, oops dont mean to go off topic here

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only downside is the fact they weigh 170lbs per wheel.

We've got a lot of new unmounted hemtt rims if anyone is looking for a set.