• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dreaming about owning a Deuce

zalora

I am considering bidding on a M35A3C next week but am concerned about the time and expense involved in maintaining one. It's one of the ones that was rebuilt in 1989 and has auto everything, a Cat diesel engine and the CTIS system.

What kind of maintenance does this truck require to keep it in good shape and can your average person easily do it themselves? Do they tend to have a lot of problems and are they expensive to fix? I'm also worried about the CTIS system because it has a flat tire.

I am also wondering if it will be difficult for me to drive because I'm a 5' tall woman.

I'm sorry if I asked too may questions in 1 post. I'm just trying to get educated before the bidding starts.

nk14zp

Welcome to the site.Read all the past threads on the m35a3 to get some idea on the repairs and things.You can narrow it down with the search function.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS and OD addiction zalora!

Do a search through the threads for M35a3's and you can read all about them.

BTW, being 5' tall and of the female persuasion makes no difference at all. I am teaching my 16yo daughter how to drive, with my deuce!

Good Luck!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
zalora,

I recommend you seek out a local owner of the type of truck you are interested in. Ask them to drive it and to explain their experience in ownership.

Welcome to this site.

Rick

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was a Driver Trainer/Road Tester in the Active Army and some of the most capable deuce drivers I saw were female.....this was before the A3 and the all deuces were manual tranny and no power steering. As long as the vehicle is rolling it is not too hard to steer, using low range helps to keep it from bucking and jumping.

While the A3's have the automatic and power steering they come with a host of issues.....the CAT engine is electronically controlled and when it breaks it is going to cost big money to fix. You can buy a lot of multi-fuels for what a "Kitty-Cat" costs. CATs are good engines until they fail.
The Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) can be a PITA also.....I have seen very few A3's in a storage lot that didnt have a couple of flats....most of the time they will pump up when the truck is started....but if the truck wont start and you need to move it you will have to inflate the tires manually.

The A3 also requires straight diesel......no cutting fuel costs by running alternative fuels.

An A2 will be a lot cheaper to keep but if you are willing to pay for convienience the A3 may be your best option.

Stan Leschert

Try to find a local owner with an A3 , and also an A2. Talk to both of them and form your own conclusions. Don't bother with your local Army unit, because unless you find the smart person, all that you will get will be beefs about the deficiencies of one particular unit. The guys who actually own them are much better qualified to advise you. Welcome in, and thanks for posting the start of your green voyage. Keep us posted (with pictures of your progress).

Last edited:

monkeythumbs

I'd also like to add that you may want to figure in tags and insuruance costs of an A2 vs A3 in your decision. In Ohio I can run Historic Tags on an A2 , with an A3 since it'll be tittled as 1993 or newer you can't get Historical Tags. Insurance from a collector company is a whole lot cheaper than from State Farm/Allstate/Gieco/etc also. E-mail/PM some members in your state and ask them about costs associated with tags and insurance, people are glad to help and answer questions for you. Good luck with bidding and finding your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks