• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drexel Recovery tomorrow

tlm47201

Finally got scheduled for pickup of 3 M1009's for another SS member. Unknown running condition, as was mine. Since I picked mine up, I saw first hand all that I "should have had on hand". This time, got a truck and car trailer, tow bar, 3 drivers, extra batteries, spare, fuel, oil, home made slave cables... have I forgot anything? Crap , probably. Got the Indiana temp tags, insurance binders, made some keys. I will be there early, hopefully getting home for dinner. I will post pics of this recovery, should be,....interesting.

pc3nmcb

Good luck hope it goes well more importantly safe. I get my starter back today from rebuild. Hopefully after that my m1009 will run. I've heard all the others have.

P.S If you don't have a winch on your trailer take a come a long, hopefully you wont have the luck I did with broken starter bolts.

tlm47201

Mission complete 12:30 hours. Started at 07:30 hours,pouring rain, and found trailer lights inop (last user cut the wires to fit his truck). Wired tailights only, left and arrived at Drexel about 09:15 hours. Got to the first M1009, the broken ignition switch, had to pop the wheel off to remove. Luckily, I had my puller in case. Got the switch pulled, M1009 started right up. One down , two more to go. Second one, had no key, but I had spares. It started right up. One more to go.Third one, had a flat tire, dead batteries. Had my little air pump along, aired the tire up. Popped my spare good batteries in it, cranks , but no start. No fuel to ip. Was told the truck had been sitting, evidently because it would not start. Found the fuel filter drain valve leaking. Fixed that, then it started up. So far all three running, moving, and shifting. No noticeable leaks. I decided to trailer the last truck, since the tire was an unknown. Got it loaded, started to leave. Shreaded the alternator belt on truck 2. Pulled belt from truck 3, installed on truck 2. Left Drexel somewhere around 11:15 hours, in a driving rain.Stopped half way home to add 5 gallon fuel to truck 1. Got home at 12:30 hours. All in all,a crappy day. A few issues. Trucks at my home . I amhappy. The fellowI picked them up for, Chuck Holl (choll on SS)called to check on them. I got some tiny things to work out , and they will beready for Chuck when he comes out from west to getthem. I actually had a good time, all except when I slid almost through an intersection in the rain with the trailer brakes not working. Kept my old truck and trailer straight. My wife, and a fellow firefighter helped with the driving. Chuck, I think you willbe happy with the M1009's.I will post pics when the rain stops.

tlm47201

Yea, it really was interesting. Something I noticed. A lot of M1009's in various parted condition, hopefully coming up soon. I'd like a cheap parts truck or two. I guess I will bewatching Drexel close. Also sawseveral Deuces being loaded and hauled by some lucky buyers. Any SS folks there ?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great news and glad that our Indiana friends are having good luck at Drexel. I grew up in Indiana so all these posts bring a back a few memories of wheeling through cricks and corn fields.

I have found most of my trucks picked up would run once I did the basic PMCS maintenance like you did. Good haul and the alternator belt is one issue with these trucks we have put several on ours.

choll

Nothing but thanks to Terry for picking the trucks up for me. This site is the best. I have helped pick up some trucks at FT Lewis nice to see people like this helping each other.

tlm47201

Pics

As promised, pics. Couldnt get any during recovery, it was raining non-stop. Once I got them home, I got these on Saturday. Chuck, the dead batteried charged up, so looks like one fan belt, and 1 ignition lock cylinder is all they need so far.I still need to drive the one that we hauled on the road to check the tranny out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks