• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivability??

pdstout

If I get lucky and win a auction, can the M35a2 be driven home on the interstate? I live a bout 200 miles from Red Stone. Can this be done, or are most M35s in rough shape. The Auction says they run. I hope this is not a crazy question? What should I expect being a FNG.
Thanks, for the info. P. Stout

hole

If possible try and preview the truck to make sure it is indeed roadworthy. 200 miles isnt that far as long as the truck checks out ok.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
200 Miles in a Deuce is nothing. They can be driven on the interstate, albeit slowly (you are going to max out somewhere a hair above 50).

The issue that you have no idea what you are going to get. You may arrive at DRMO and find a truck that needs nothing.... or a truck with no brakes, no fluids, no functioning clutch, tranny, transfer, etc. It's a crap shoot.

I have driven a truck out of Redstone and drove it 200 miles back to Athens, Ga. Only problem was one differential slightly low on fluid and a dipstick that was twisted up that I was almost unable to get back in the tube.

I took an entire truck load of spare parts and tools. I also took my towbar so that if it died, I could call a friend with a deuce to recover it.

If you do try and drive it, find the GL/DRMO checklist that maccus posted and get everything on the list. Familiarize yourself with the operator's manual and post a thread detailing your dates and routes. Hopefully if it dies, you can find someone to help you get it either home or at least a temporary holding facility.

Make sure to have insurance and temporary tags if your state issues them (Ga. doesn't unless you are a dealer).

Good luck! And remember to take pictures of your adventure.

anthony3478

hey I drove mine back down 65 to Birmingham, 55 mph all the way back, just besure to preview it and bring fluids and tools, the only thing mine needed was fuel, congrats on your win post pics when you can

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its a crap shoot. Even if you preview, parts can be taken afterward. Have a shipper lined up just in case.

jrou111

It's definately a crapshoot. I'm lucky enough to have a friend nearby with a little land close to Redstone where I can get them off base. I've recovered 5 deuces and a m1009 CUCV from Redstone...

The first truck was a w/w with 35,xxx miles. It has run flawlessly with plenty of power to run up hills in 5th and not lose RPM's. The second truck was a wo/w with 329 miles when I bought it. It gave me some problems when the lower radiator hose busted, and with the old varnished diesel and rust clogging up the fuel filters. It also had no fluids in the diffs, tranny, radiator, and was 4qts low. The engine feels low on power and can only go up steep hills in 3rd (doing 28mph on the interstate sucks btw). Both trucks made it home the ~100 miles back to Birmingham, at night, in the rain. BTW because of the fuel issues on the wo/w truck it took 7 hours make it home :cry:

I picked up the other 4 trucks this past Monday. All 4 needed a jump, one had to be pullstarted b/c it had no slave plug, the cucv needed a fresh set of batteries. Two of the trucks are whistlers, one of which has nonfunctioning oil pressure and temp guages, the other has a pinhole leak in one of the air tanks, and no parking brake. The other one is a non-whistler, wo/w truck, and it had no brakes when I picked it up. :cry: It DID have decent batteries once charged and was able to jump/pull the other trucks several times. It feels a little low on power, and I haven't driven the other 2 trucks (someone else did) to compare them.

The m1009 cucv, although a little rusty (IL nat guard), fired right up with a new set of batteries. It ran flawless at 70-80mph on the interstate for the 100 mile trip home. It's a great little truck.

So now I still have the 3 dueces to bring home (if I don't sell them first :p), but after fixing all the little things like guages, air tank leak, etc as well as the brakes they should be able to make it home 100 miles just fine.

Pinz25086

I just picked mine up in Little Rock. Needed a brake booster to get it to stop. After that, drove it all the way to Orlando non stop. It turned out OK but I was worried the entire way home.

I agree that it is a crap shoot at best but what the heck, you only live once! Have someone follow you so you have a way to run for parts / help. If you get there and it has issues, call for a tow to somewhere you can leave it. It is only a 200 mile drive back home and you can go back and get what you need to fix it.

Good luck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto what everybody else has said.

A deuce will make the 200 mile trip no problem but the one you buy may not.

grounded

Banned
:ditto: what everyone said..

But if you do win one. I will be on base next week (7th) let me know ill try to look at it and let you know what to bring to get it home, or atleast what shape its in

Here's the thing. If you have money, you can choose to either get it shipped or try to drive it out. You might have no problems, you might have a total breakdown. If you have no money, you have to chance it and drive it yourself, but be prepared to have a friend along the way to store it if dies.

My suggestion? Save up enough cash to get it shipped. Then go look at it and try to drive it. If it drives fine, then just drive it. If not, ship it. If it then breaks down, you still have enough money to fix it.