• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive Shaft inter operability question M1038

BRob18E

Does anyone know if the driveshaft 2520-01-200-3096 and be swapped out with 2520-01-357-5043? The second nsn is the driveshaft I need, but it's on Ebay for $275 and there is only one, and the other nsn is on Ebay for $35 and many sellers. They look identical, so I was curious if someone with knowledge in this area can help me out? Thanks for your time and help in advance.

KRedd

Have you downloaded the TM's from this website? If not I suggest that you do and then check in there for the "UOC" which means < usable on code>, your M1038 with winch is H14 which you can check on the figure in the TM. In my tm its fig 136 item 16. They seem to be interchangeable but there are some conditions which are listed and that you have not stated. Please download the TM's and check for yourself. Good luck!!!!

BRob18E

I have downloaded the TMs but I think you have to be either "trained" to look those over or spend hours and hours figuring it out. I looked over the TM to find which Drive Shaft I needed and even looking at the diagram, scrolling down looking at the numbers, it still took a while. Where the NSN number was suppose to be, it was blank. I have 3 NSN search sites that work great for me and I finally found it. I greatly appreciate the help and advice, but the hours I would spend looking, I will just order the one that I know works. I was more hoping that someone that knows the answer would jump in. Thanks again though, I will spend a little time trying what you said, but these TMs to me is like getting water boarded to me...lol

BRob18E

I have downloaded the TMs but I think you have to be either "trained" to look those over or spend hours and hours figuring it out. I looked over the TM to find which Drive Shaft I needed and even looking at the diagram, scrolling down looking at the numbers, it still took a while. Where the NSN number was suppose to be, it was blank. I have 3 NSN search sites that work great for me and I finally found it. I greatly appreciate the help and advice, but the hours I would spend looking, I will just order the one that I know works. I was more hoping that someone that knows the answer would jump in. Thanks again though, I will spend a little time trying what you said, but these TMs to me is like getting water boarded to me...lol

BRob18E

Just re reading what you wrote again tells me I need someone more knowledgeable in TMs. I can understand "UOC" but do I check your vehicles TM that has the "unknown" nsn driveshaft and see if it has the H14 code? And that is me just assuming when you say "your M1038 with winch is H14" that is the code for my vehicle or it means some other type of code. I guess I can pull up an M998 TM and check "fig 136 item 16" and see if that makes since to me, again I appreciate it, just a little lost in the sauce here.

BRob18E

Thank you so much nickd, i am on the TM page number where he mentioned, and it has no nsn numbers for it. I figured out the codes so I did learn from his answer and now know I have a H14, but this is what the TM says, can anyone translate this for me?

24 XAOZZ 95019 2-60-607 .PROPELLER SHAFT.................... 1
UOC:H11,H13,H14,H15,H16,H17,H18,H20,
H21,H24,H25,H26,H27,H28,MMM
24 XAOZZ 95019 2-60-1082 .PROPELLER SHAFT.................... 1
UOC:AVY,A11,A13,A14,A15,A20,A24,A25,
A26,A27,B16,B17,B18,HVY,H11,H13,H14,
H15,H16,H17,H18,H20,H21,H24,H25,H26,
H27,H28,MMM
24 XAOZZ 95019 2-60-1082A2 .PROPELLER SHAFT.................... 1
UOC:BVY,B15,B20,B24,B25,C17,NNN

There is no nsn and the part number I need,
2-60-607 does not come up on all the nsn sites I use. I pull up the cage code but there are 30+ pages of parts with that cage code. I'm lost.

BRob18E

The only way I can even tell what the NSN was is because the shaft on Ebay has the NSN and part number and the sticker on my drive shaft is all messed up, but the part number i could still match. So I know which one I need, I just need to know if someone knows if the more readily available (much cheaper) shaft 2520-01-200-3096 can be used. Any re builders out there that have run into this before? Or if anyone knows someone with the correct drive shaft, point him in my direction.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is somewhat complicated......there 3 T/C's used on the early trucks.
What T/C do you have ?
NP218, or NP242 early one [ with 3 bolt tail cone ], or later NP242 with [ 4 bolt tail cone ].
Mid shaft -3096 only used with NP218,....-5043 used with both NP242's.
I have them available also.

Last edited:

BRob18E

Kick A%^ brother, that's the info I needed. What would you take for the 5043? Is it new? I took a chance on a hmmwv on GP that had a blown TC and from the looks of it, it ripped off the U joint at the front of the TC and blew out the case. I got lucky and there was a lot of 4 of them here in Columbus so I purchased them. My next question now that you have gave me great information (thank you) is that it looks like the TC that came off my hmmwv has 4 bolts, and from what I can see in the pictures of the GL auction, those have 3. Besides being older, can you tell me the difference? Is it a bad TC? I just purchase 4 of them so I hope not...lol. Selling the other 3 at cost by the way if you need one. I get them tomorrow so I'll know for sure. They are 242 AMG 2.72 ratio

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a wanted add for a -5043 so these guys that watch these posts won't get this post cancelled.
I'll answer there.