• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

drive shaft lengthen for 6inch lift?

cowboy8033

Hey guys im new to the site! I had some questions and i was hoping some of you guys could answer some of them for me! I have a 85 m1008 pick up and im putting 6 inch skyjacker lift kit on do i need to lengthen the drive shaft?:tank:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to lengthen your driveshafts.

As well as your brake lines.

Skinny

I think that statement is misleading, your stock shafts may be fine depending on what type of springs you get. Most people choose to push the front axle forward to help with firewall clearance. If that's the case, you more than likely will run out of slip yoke on the front shaft. More importantly, your front shaft's CV yoke on the tcase will be unable to function at ride height let alone full droop. You will need to clearance it or buy a high angle CV.

No one yet really asked the clarifying questions regarding lift type, usage, etc. to answer your question properly.

Regardless, I would stay away from cheap springs, tcase drop brackets, brake line drop brackets, blocks, and lean more towards shackle flips along with crossover steering at that lift height.

Randyw

I have a 6" lift on my 84 1008 and the stock shafts work fine. I did put a transfer drop kit on my just for the sake of it. You will have to legthen the brake lines though.

To those of you that are running 6-8" lifts with stock shafts, how intense of offroading do you do with your trucks, if any? I'm looking to do an 8-9" lift on my M1010 soon, but I want to make sure I won't run into issues with the drive train at full flex, so I figd I'd have to lengthen my driveshafts. Are you guys really flexing your trucks at all or mainly just street driving and mild offroad use? I don't plan on wheeling mine excessively, but I like to explore and camp in remote areas, and want to have confidence that my truck can handle almost any terrain.

cowboy8033

I think that statement is misleading, your stock shafts may be fine depending on what type of springs you get. Most people choose to push the front axle forward to help with firewall clearance. If that's the case, you more than likely will run out of slip yoke on the front shaft. More importantly, your front shaft's CV yoke on the tcase will be unable to function at ride height let alone full droop. You will need to clearance it or buy a high angle CV.

No one yet really asked the clarifying questions regarding lift type, usage, etc. to answer your question properly.

Regardless, I would stay away from cheap springs, tcase drop brackets, brake line drop brackets, blocks, and lean more towards shackle flips along with crossover steering at that lift height.
Well i bought a 6 inch lift from skyjacker with blocks cause i cant afford the nice ones but what brake lines would be my best bet?

Skinny

Rear blocks tend to cause lots of wrap which can pull driveshafts out. Not as much with the CUCV rear spring pack but be aware of it. I honestly think your best lines would be stock rubber ones from a 2wd truck. I dislike braided ones because you can't pinch them to service brakes and they tend to leak early in life. To anyone that disagrees that's great but every truck regardless (Toyota, Suzuki, Jeep, Chevy) every aftermarket set I buy one leaks within the first year. I've always been able to get tons of useful service life out of rubber ones without leaks. They will dry rot before leaking.

I would like to make a statement here and not to offend anyone running tall lifts because they do have a place but I highly recommend avoiding anything over a 2-4" lift and stick with pushing the front axle forwards along with high steer. You will get better tire clearance, more flex, lower COG, and a more capable truck. Believe it or not, a 4" lifted truck with the axle pushed forward will fit a bigger tire while allowing for wheel travel than an 8" lifted truck. Plus your operating angles for steering and driveshafts are much more happier. Just food for thought.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To those of you that are running 6-8" lifts with stock shafts, how intense of offroading do you do with your trucks, if any? I'm looking to do an 8-9" lift on my M1010 soon, but I want to make sure I won't run into issues with the drive train at full flex, so I figd I'd have to lengthen my driveshafts. Are you guys really flexing your trucks at all or mainly just street driving and mild offroad use? I don't plan on wheeling mine excessively, but I like to explore and camp in remote areas, and want to have confidence that my truck can handle almost any terrain.
This CUCV? Nope, none really. Other Chevys in the past? Tons.

Cucvnut

8 inch is over kill imo, I flex the **** out of my M!008, I run a stock rear shaft and a longer front shaft. i have about 5 inches of lift but i run shocks for an 8 inch lift. but if your gonna wheel your truck do cross over steering. Look at my lift thread for ideas.

8 inch is over kill imo, I flex the **** out of my M!008, I run a stock rear shaft and a longer front shaft. i have about 5 inches of lift but i run shocks for an 8 inch lift. but if your gonna wheel your truck do cross over steering. Look at my lift thread for ideas.
I do intend on crossover steering, along with hydraulic assist. I'm going with that size lift because I plan on running 40" tires. I'm going 1-2" more lift than I need to avoid the rear tires rubbing on the wheel wells.

CPAPPY

I added a 8" lift to mine, and also lengthen the drive shaft 1.250 " Works great for me . But now my bumper height is to high and got caught by State Boy now I need to lower it down to 27" front bumper and 29 rear bumper height. I am 31"in front and 29" in the rear. Waiting till spring to lower it down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks