• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive Shaft U-Joint Fail

QuickSilver

I had the rear drive shaft u-joint at the pinion break on my way out to work yesterday. Made a heck of a bang bang bang! Since it broke at the rear I figured "no problem". Pulled it off the splines and threw it in the back. took a styrofoam coffee cup and put over the open output and duct taped the crap out of it to keep from getting junk in the t-case or losing all the fluid, then I front wheel drived it the rest of the way to work. I noticed when I went to leave work that It wouldn't hardly grab a gear, so I went by the shop before I left and topped off the ATF, which wasn't even on the stick anymore... What the heck? Well now she's shifting perfectly. I make it halfway home with everything running smooth as can be when suddenly... VROOM VROOM... no more gears again. I figured I must have lost my temporary cup fix. Nope, it was still there and sealed up fine. Turns out the transmission case is cracked toward the tail end. The impact of the drive shaft whirling around at mach 3 must have done it in. Not the best day I've ever had... aua

QuickSilver

I had been looking for it too. I had a vibration that would only show up a certain RPMs. I've never had a u-joint do that before. When I checked them all, I couldn't find a loose one anywhere, so I thought maybe my torque converter bolts needed attention. One of the caps must have been locking up or something.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long have you owned and been driving this truck? Was it a GL truck? Was it ever forklifted(did you inspect for damage before this incident)?

QuickSilver

How long have you owned and been driving this truck? Was it a GL truck? Was it ever forklifted(did you inspect for damage before this incident)?
I've had it for a couple of weeks. It was originally a guard truck from SD if what I was told is correct. I don't see any abnormal damage.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it start and run when you bought it?

Did you ever look at the rear drive shaft, specifically for forklift damage?

QuickSilver

Yep, and I did. I've been turning wrenches my whole life. Sometimes things happen. Everyone has had an inopportune breakdown or two at one point or another.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the same thing happen on a Ford 1ton driving down the road. No forklift damage at all. ;)

The rear joint of the front drive shaft let go and tore a hole in the floor pan and took out the transfer case.

A patched floorpan, a new driveshaft and a replacement transfer case later it was back in operation.

QuickSilver

Had the same thing happen on a Ford 1ton driving down the road. No forklift damage at all. ;)

The rear joint of the front drive shaft let go and tore a hole in the floor pan and took out the transfer case.

A patched floorpan, a new driveshaft and a replacement transfer case later it was back in operation.
Ya, those buggers are destructive when they let go. I'm in the process of searching for a case for the tranny. If anybody has a line on one, let me know.

JDToumanian

Interesting that there was no detectable slop in the bearing caps..... Maybe their needles were rusted up? A 'post mortem' analysis would be nice. I don't like that there are no zerk fittings on the stock u-joints. Does normal PM work consist of removing the drive shaft to inspect or replace these "maintenance free" u-joints? In my youth I had a Toyota in which I enjoyed dumping the clutch and peeling out, 8) and it frequently destroyed u-joints. Did I stop peeling? No way! I bought lots of u-joints and kept them with the needed tools in the back of the car. The point being, that I know what that vibration feels like so I may have suspected a u-joint. That sucks it cracked the case.... Maybe my Toyota and I got lucky all those times......

Jon

QuickSilver

Interesting that there was no detectable slop in the bearing caps..... Maybe their needles were rusted up? A 'post mortem' analysis would be nice. I don't like that there are no zerk fittings on the stock u-joints. Does normal PM work consist of removing the drive shaft to inspect or replace these "maintenance free" u-joints? In my youth I had a Toyota in which I enjoyed dumping the clutch and peeling out, 8) and it frequently destroyed u-joints. Did I stop peeling? No way! I bought lots of u-joints and kept them with the needed tools in the back of the car. The point being, that I know what that vibration feels like so I may have suspected a u-joint. That sucks it cracked the case.... Maybe my Toyota and I got lucky all those times......

Jon
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The needles dry up and get rusty. No looseness, just bang. I've had u-joints go bad before, but they would make a ruckus at pretty much any speed. I've never had one that only did it in certain ranges before.

ranchhopper

Your transfer case chain probably slung the ATF out the back of the TC while driving it useing front wheel drive if the yoke isnt in there to seal it the oil pours out the back.