• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveline safety hoop.

rustystud

I remember working on a Kenworth in 1979 that had lost it's u-joint just behind the transmission. It took out both saddle fuel tanks and some air hoses and wiring. It took days to fix this truck. After I went to work on the buses at the transit department I noticed all the drivelines had a safety hoop on them. Turns out all buses are federally required to have them ( this includes school buses too) . Last year a bus lost it's U-joint and beat the crap out of the hoop but it held. So now that I've been modifying my truck and have replaced almost all the hoses with DOT nylon I decided to add a safety hoop to prevent any problems if the worst happens. I bought this U-bolt from "Mc020.jpgMaster Carr" part number #8862T36 . It's a 5/8" thread for a 6" pipe with a 9-1/2" throat. Works great.

V8srfun

Drive shaft loops are great. They are a cheap easy modification that has huge safety benefits. I have heard stories of the front u joint breaking in old cars then the driveshaft gets lodged in the ground lifting the rear of the car in the air and causing a nasty crash. The only reason I would not be inclined to put one on a vehicle is if I used it for extreme off-roading and thought it may get bent up and rub on the drive shaft.

rustystud

Drive shaft loops are great. They are a cheap easy modification that has huge safety benefits. I have heard stories of the front u joint breaking in old cars then the driveshaft gets lodged in the ground lifting the rear of the car in the air and causing a nasty crash. The only reason I would not be inclined to put one on a vehicle is if I used it for extreme off-roading and thought it may get bent up and rub on the drive shaft.
I checked out the driveline angles before installing it. I would have to have a " 4ft drop ! " before the driveline hit this bracket.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think he was talking about something you drive over bending the hoop.

That was my first thought anyway.

V8srfun

Yes I meant something that you drive over bending it but in all reality it is rare that it would even happen. My point was that I really like the mod and I was trying to emphasize the fact that there is no negative effects to this modification.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That was my first thought cause I would make it happen. You'd be surprised at how many things I've ripped off, torn, or bent while strolling through the woods...

rustystud

Yes I meant something that you drive over bending it but in all reality it is rare that it would even happen. My point was that I really like the mod and I was trying to emphasize the fact that there is no negative effects to this modification.
If you could hit that hoop without taking out the transmission and transfer case that would be something to see ! It really doesn't stick down that far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks