• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driver certification on M35A2

UH1Huey3113

I'm here at Eglin about to hopefully gain some really good instruction and training on driving the M35A2, beloved Deuce and a half, from the Ground Combat Training Squadron. I've always wanted to and now I think I'll get that chance here. What sort of particular things I should be paying attention to so that I don't break this **** thing and grind gears into a dusty disaster? I can tell you that I have driven a stick before. Not too often, but I do know the basics, and probably nothing this quite big yet.

Clay James

If you've driven stick before it won't be hard to get used to driving a deuce. I learned to drive stick on a deuce :-D Just remember to shift slowly and smoothly with these transmissions.

Flyingvan911

And keep your fingers out of the steering wheel. Especially if it is manual steering. If the wheels decide to turn and the steering wheel jerks, it will hurt.

Other than that, just remember it's big and heavy. Give yourself room to maneuver and think ahead. Know when you need to slow down for curves, etc. I know it is common sense but when you get into a curve going too fast it is a little scary.

Stonepicker1

Also, make sure the parking brake works and you know were it is. If your brakes fail(brake pedal goes to the floor)you can use the parking brake to stop(had do this a few times)

UH1Huey3113

Oh! Ok, um...I was expecting reverse to be on the righthand side, but I think I can manage. Just gotta try to remember that about 1st, 3 and 4. I can handle it. Thanks! If I can, I'll see if I can post a video of it.

UH1Huey3113

Perfect! That'll help out when I have to stop and start on a hill. I'm not an expert on manual trans so I'd rather NOT jack up government property, expecially since it's from someone elses squadron.

Last edited:

KsM715

Does anyone else find it strange that they are still doing drivers cert. on a vehicle that at this very moment is supposed to be out of service. (I know there are still a few floating around)

Good luck, its not that hard. Do not slip the clutch to hold the truck on a hill. In first, unloaded, you can dump the clutch and not stall out.

Big Z

That'll help out when I have to stop and start on a hill.
Just use your service brake like any other vehicle.
Here's just a few quick things:

These trucks are easy to drive as far as trucks go. The transmissions are synchronized and will shift easily. Regardless, I would recommend you be aware of the reasons behind double-clutching and why float-shifting (shifting without using the clutch pedal) works in case the need arises.

Always do a quick walk-around to check for flat tires, leaks, etc. Check fluid levels reasonably frequently. Always allow a warmup and cool-down time. Never push an engine that has not warmed up. Don't shut off hot engines without a cooldown period unless necessary (ie breakdowns). Keep an eye on your gauges and mirrors. Remember, diesel engines in general can not safely run very high RPMs. Use your senses to detect problems; stop and check, rather than wait til the next destination. And of course, have fun, but not too much. Our VFD got a deuce. I had too much fun and then had to buy one. You don't wanna be one of those guys :lol:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Learn double clutching. If you don't know how, they can teach you. Very useful for shifting balky old transmissions with damaged synchros.

Edit: Slow on the button push! What he ^^ said.

Billy Bobbed

Just use your service brake like any other vehicle.
Here's just a few quick things:

These trucks are easy to drive as far as trucks go. The transmissions are synchronized and will shift easily. Regardless, I would recommend you be aware of the reasons behind double-clutching and why float-shifting (shifting without using the clutch pedal) works in case the need arises.

Always do a quick walk-around to check for flat tires, leaks, etc. Check fluid levels reasonably frequently. Always allow a warmup and cool-down time. Never push an engine that has not warmed up. Don't shut off hot engines without a cooldown period unless necessary (ie breakdowns). Keep an eye on your gauges and mirrors. Remember, diesel engines in general can not safely run very high RPMs. Use your senses to detect problems; stop and check, rather than wait til the next destination. And of course, have fun, but not too much. Our VFD got a deuce. I had too much fun and then had to buy one. You don't wanna be one of those guys :lol:

1st gear is not synchronized.And trying to get it in 2nd gear at a stop sometimes dont go in,so you have to shift from 3rd to 2nd to get the gears align to go in 2nd.I take off in 2nd gear all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks