• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driver certification on M35A2

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can drop the transfer case (lever sticking out of the floor to your right) into LO and practice driving and shifting at low speeds until you get the hang of it. It is a lot easier to back up and to manuver at slow speeds in LO range.

I was a Drivers Trainer/License Examiner in a couple of units I was in and I very seldom had any trouble teaching Soldiers to drive a deuce.

dittle

Keep your thumbs outside of the steering wheel spokes. If you blow a front tire and the steering wheel starts spinning your thumbs will thank you. Remember there is no power steering on these trucks usually, although some have a p/s kit installed.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's nice to see a young guy that has respect for stuff that doesn't belong to him. Too many young guys don't care about tearing up stuff and then are stupid enough to post themselves doing it online. You have the right attitude.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone else find it strange that they are still doing drivers cert. on a vehicle that at this very moment is supposed to be out of service. (I know there are still a few floating around)
:ditto:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

UH1Huey3113

Thanks for the heads up guys. To clarify, I do have a Gov driver's license, but it's only been for GP vehicles, like SUV's, Sedans, Pickups, 15 Pax vans. I haven't had a qualification on the larger vehicles yet, but I relish the opportunity to have it. I was an Air Wing Marine and we didn't really drive around in Humvee's, 5 Tons or Deuces. Light cargo vehicles, stake trucks, and forklifts mostly.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to get GTA-9-1-185 (Systematic Inspection Procedure for the 2 1/2 Ton Truck) beforehand and study it. Your instructor will smile if you are already familiar with that checklist, that and the Lube Order (LO-9-2320-209-12) will put you miles ahead of any other students.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What they said, Remember about your fingers and thumbs. Also of note the shift pattern 3-4th gear. You'll be alright son.

UH1Huey3113

That systematic inspection procedure, is it listed on the operations manual as well? I have the disc at home that I can look over. I'm guessing it's about like a preflight checklist, correct?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the GTA is simply an 8 page (4 sheets) summary with pictures and numbered steps. at 19.8 MB, it's too big to load as an attachment. PM me with your e-mail and I'll try to send it, if you cannot find it on-line.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never start out in 2nd gear unless you are in low range. When driving a deuce in the Army, this was a serious offence as we were told it is easy to damage the transmission if starting out in 2nd. Also, never slip the clutch - just let the clutch out. Follow everyone's good suggestions, especially about keeping hands and fingers out of the spokes on the steering wheel. Deuces are easy and fun to drive.

Crawdaddy

What's the proper procedure for backing in a deuce with regards to the transmission and clutch? I can let the clutch out fully and hold the truck with the brake, but when I start letting up the truck wants to back up too quickly. When backing the truck into its spot I'm finding myself riding the clutch and brake to produce a nice slow, controlled back-up. When I drop the transfer case into low gear and back up, the truck wants to jump and not be held by the brake when backing up.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In low range, the truck will be moving very slowing in reverse at idle. There should be no reason to drag the brakes. If the truck is moving too quickly in reverse and low range, perhaps the idle is set too high or the hand throttle is pulled out some. When parking my deuce, I always run it in low range - makes it considerably easier.

fasttruck

If you want to pass do not ride the clutch pedal with a government inspector or examiner with you. Use the clutch pedal as a foot rest communicates you don't have the vehicle under control because you want to dump the clutch immediately which is bad technique. Put the transmission in reverse instead of a forward gear when the obvious direction of travel is forward will fail you.

KsM715

What's the proper procedure for backing in a deuce with regards to the transmission and clutch? I can let the clutch out fully and hold the truck with the brake, but when I start letting up the truck wants to back up too quickly. When backing the truck into its spot I'm finding myself riding the clutch and brake to produce a nice slow, controlled back-up. When I drop the transfer case into low gear and back up, the truck wants to jump and not be held by the brake when backing up.

:shock: What exactly are you saying when you say you let the clutch out fully? Out, as in foot off the pedal and the truck does not move with your foot on the brake?

UH1Huey3113

I bring ya'll pics of my vehicles I certified on yesterday here at Eglin for my GOV license :) I also have a video I'm gonna try to see if I can post of me driving the 5 Ton. I would have liked to have made a video of me and the Deuce but I kinda had my hands full fat lady sings

Attachments

UH1Huey3113

My thanks to all of ya'll who supported me with the tips and advice. It was ALOT more fun than I was anticipating :) The Deuce turned out to be the trickiest to operate. I've had experience driving a stick but not much, so I was a little rusty. Yes, I stalled out a couple of times at first but after the instructor taught me a trick to press on the clutch a little bit when I first start feeling movement, it worked out nicely. Did at least 42 MPH on the main drag through base on my run. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! I gotta get me one of these now!