• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driver side alt belt stretch

PAm1009

i own a m1009 and about 3 months ago purchased new batteries and belts becuase the previous belts were the wrong ones. soo i know have the proper gates alt belts on the truck which are 7575 gates xl for the driverside and 7483 xl for the pass side... i get a nasty squeel from my driver side alt and can cleary see the problem which is too much play in the belt but my altanator is adjusted as far as it can go on the bracket.. any ideas on what it might be any chance of a bad belt or is there another source for this problem.
thanks much!

acesneights1

It is a common problem with 6.2 diesels both Mil and civvy. The 7 series belt is NOT I repeat NOT the correct belt. 8 series is ,but they no longer make them due to the greed of the gates rubber company. the problem was Gates 8 series belts usually outlasted the engine. Gates discontinued them back in the early 90's stating that they were not needed as the 7 series would be beefed up to work on both. NOT. Once the pulleys get even a little worn or glazed(like most are) the squealing starts. Gates does make a hi performance belt for the civvy models. 5725 was the # IIRC but I do not know if that is the same for a CUCV. I plan to eventually convert mine to serp belt and lose the other alt.