• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driver side alternator belts

TGP (IL)

The picture cucvrus posted is correct.
At least with my M1028A2 and M1008.
Besides, it put both Alt. on the same diameter size crank and water
Pump pulleys.
The PS is on the two smaller pulleys.
Tom

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric, I read some of the text from the pics you linked to. Seems that the truck in question had some bambalance pulleys on it. Looks like the issue is resolved now but I will try to get pics tomorrow. This presents a whole new problem though. Now I need ambulance waterpump and cranks pulleys to go with the ambulance alt kit I have. Changing wrecker project to ambulance charging system.

cucvrus

I wonder how many of them pulleys I have or had and never knew what they were for going to be. Back 20 years ago the M1010 to me were just low mileage 4WD 1 ton plow truck chassis's and I converted them to the M1009 charging system and pulleys, wiring harness from wrecked M1009 I bought. The M1010 pulleys went to the scrapper or are lost in my vast collection. Who would have ever thought?

number9er

Well, from the pics, my belts are installed wrong. I'll crawl under today and see if I can find a reason the pulleys would be misaligned. Last time I was under there I found out my gear reduction starter was installed without a rear bracket and the old bracket was just hanging around in there.

I'm sure the belts are the wrong sizes too. Hopefully nothing is damaged from driving it home like this.

By the way, the truck is still 24v. I'm trying to get to a stock configuration with the belts. Thank you all for your help, pics, etc.

Last edited:

number9er

I just put new alternator belts on an M1009 yesterday. A gates 7490 and a gates 7575. I never even loosened the PS belt it was on the rear pulleys. I have always liked that I could almost always change and correct the squealing alternator belts with out messing with the Power steering belt. I just looked at 3 trucks in my garage and they are all the same as I described. Do I need pictures. Or will you take my word for it? I will consult my attorney if I need to.
The Wiki has these belts listed:

• Driver side alt- Gates# 25-7575; Dayco# 15580
  • Passenger side alt- Gates# 7483; Dayco# 15490
  • Power Steering- Gates# 7448; Dayco#15455
This thread on "better fitting belts" lists some shorter belts to allow for better tightening. I'm inclined to go with the part numbers cucvrus said along with a gates 7448 power steering belt. That should work, right?

number9er

The power steering pump bracket is known to break (or loose a bolt) and cause misalignment.
Lay under the truck and look at the very bottom of the pump/bracket to check this.
I crawled under today, and I don't see any missing bolts and none even seemed loose. And eyeballing it, I can't see why it wouldn't be aligned if the belts were put on the right pulleys. I gotta say I'm a little aggravated with my mechanic. I should have just made time to do it myself.
IMG_0294.jpg

cucvrus

But you are still missing a belt to the #1 alternator slot/groove. . That #1 Generator/ alternator belt belongs on the front pulley groove of the PS pump. That is what I see when I look at the picture you posted.

number9er

Looks like the culprit is a wrong pulley on alt 1. If I put a straight edge on the power steering pulley, it does sit forward of the alt 1 pulley by a several millimeters. I'm sure it would work for a while, but I'm shimming out the alt pulley so everything will line up right and I can avoid buying new belts on the regular. On the left is alt 1 (driver side) and on the right is alt 2 (passenger side).
IMG_0299.jpgIMG_0298.jpg
If alt 1 had a pulley like alt 2, I think it would line up fine. A quick search around town didn't turn up the right pulley, so washers will have to do for now. The strange thing is, a lot of your pictures show pulleys like my alt 1 pulley, which seems to be wrong for me. There's a distinct possibility that I'm overthinking this, too.

number9er

The power steering pump bracket is known to break (or loose a bolt) and cause misalignment.
Lay under the truck and look at the very bottom of the pump/bracket to check this.
Well, as it turns out doghead was right. Except the bottom parts of the bracket were fine. This top mounting point, however, seems a bit off:
IMG_0301.jpg
So at the moment I can't tighten (or even install) a power steering belt. But the other belts are on the right pulleys. I don't feel great about driving it this way, but at least all of the pulleys are turning. I guess my next step is tracking down this discontinued bracket. Anybody got a spare sitting in their couch cushions somewhere?

You guys tired of hearing from me yet?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like an easy repair to me.

Can you weld?

I love a good mystery.

number9er

You know, I've never welded anything in my lifetime, but I guess it's never too late to start. A Harbor Freight welder is probably cheaper than I'm going to find this part for. I might put out the bat signal and see if I can find someone around here to do it first.

cucvrus

I have seen a bracket that the military must of had no access to a welder. They used a piece of angle and bolted it onto the main bracket and used that upper leg of the angle as the mounting plate after they drilled a hole in it. I just loosened it and put belts on it. It was long after the bracket was discontinued. I wish I had the ones I tossed in the steel bin in the past. All you need is a drill and some bolts and a piece of angle you can fix that if you have no welding skills or access to a welder. A weld shop would fix it for $20. I am thinking. Good Luck I am trying to help you out.

number9er

Yeah, it looks that way. I'm going to try to get out there and take it off this afternoon. I'll probably try the welding shop first. I'm glad I have the bolt-on as a fallback plan though. I appreciate all the help/advice. If it wasn't for this site, I'd probably hang a for sale sign on this thing and call it a day.

TGP (IL)

" I'm going to try to get out there and take it off this afternoon"
FYI
You will have to pull the whole pump, then using a pulley puller remove the pulley to get the bracket off.
It's a pain in the xxx, but you can pull the pulley leaving the pump connected. Not fun , but doable,then remove the bracket.
Last you can find someone to weld in place. Won't be perfect but should hold.
It broke because of missing or loose Adj. bolts.
TGP

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks