• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivers in Oregon may share roads with military surplus Humvees

WAGNUM

Lets support the Mayor and get this bill passed!!

Stayton Mayor Hank Porter
Contact City Hall
362 N. Third Avenue
Stayton, OR 97383
(503) 769-3425

Drivers in Oregon may share roads with military surplus Humvees
Posted: Mar 14, 2017 1:43 PM PDTUpdated: Mar 14, 2017 1:54 PM PDTBy The Associated Press
Oregon could be the first state to allow street-use of retired military Humvees should state lawmakers approve a bill that was proposed at the request of Stayton Mayor Hank Porter, who wants to tow war veterans in parades. (AP Photo/Kristena Hansen)

SALEM, OR (AP) -Military surplus Humvees could soon share the Oregon streets and roadways with minivans, hatchbacks and compact electric cars.
A proposal began advancing in the Legislature last week that would make Oregon one of the few states to allow retired military Humvees on the roadways for civilian use by giving the same special registration used for antique cars and street rods. Street use would be limited to only special events like exhibitions and parades.
It was put forward at the request of 75-year-old Hank Porter, who is mayor of a small Oregon town called Stayton, where he wants his surplus Humvee to be able to haul war veterans in Fourth of July parades.
The military began selling older Humvees to civilians for the first time in late 2014 as off-road vehicles, and most of the 8,000 sold so far can't get street legal by the states.
Reporting by Kristena Hansen
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
http://www.kptv.com/story/34846712/drivers-in-oregon-may-share-roads-with-military-surplus-humvees

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military began selling older Humvees to civilians for the first time in late 2014 as off-road vehicles, and most of the 8,000 sold so far can't get street legal by the states.
Wow, either there is some serious miss-information reported (and understood by that mayor), or a bunch of people wrong on the forums.

Support him, Shoot just tell him how to get it road legal as others have done in that state.

Don't make him waste his time and taxpayers money for something that's not an issue.

Last edited:

kc5mzd

Sounds like they are going to be like Texas. If you want to make it street legal you can (try). If you want to use it for events they might allow special registration that is mostly exempt from most regulations and inspections, It is also only $10.00 per year.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oregon could be the first state to allow street-use of retired military Humvees should state lawmakers approve a bill that was proposed at the request of Stayton Mayor Hank Porter, who wants to tow war veterans in parades. UMMMM WHAT?

erasedhammer

Oregon wouldn't be the first. California gives you plates if you drive near their DMV!
All kidding aside there are many states that won't question you if you go in to register a Humvee

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oregon wouldn't be the first. California gives you plates if you drive near their DMV!
All kidding aside there are many states that won't question you if you go in to register a Humvee

Calif does not just hand out titles....just cuz you got yours ,does not means the rest are rubber stamped.
I get a call a day in the shop from guys turned away at DMV. I have had several calls with higher ups at DMV and CARB, California air resources board, things aren't looking good. They want CHP only VIN ver, CARB compliant motor "all 50 states", FMVSS compliant Decal. Regardless of what I have told them about they are sticking there heads in the sand.
Just the vin ver pisses me off, there own form says any LE, service, DMV or CHP, they are splitting hairs IMO, most likely some ass**** who drives a Prius and lives in Berkley.

erasedhammer

Calif does not just hand out titles....just cuz you got yours ,does not means the rest are rubber stamped.
I get a call a day in the shop from guys turned away at DMV. I have had several calls with higher ups at DMV and CARB, California air resources board, things aren't looking good. They want CHP only VIN ver, CARB compliant motor "all 50 states", FMVSS compliant Decal. Regardless of what I have told them about they are sticking there heads in the sand.
Just the vin ver pisses me off, there own form says any LE, service, DMV or CHP, they are splitting hairs IMO, most likely some ass**** who drives a Prius and lives in Berkley.

From what I've heard it's all about the DMV you go to. For the most part, the DMV employees have the authority to register it or not. As evident by the varying cases of registration difficulties

Gunzy

Well then. In Utah if it has a VIN inspection, passes a state safety inspection, then you're off to the races so to speak. There are a lot on the roads here and Utah has no real issues with HMMWVs.

" . . . allow retired military Humvees on the roadways for civilian use . . . "

" . . . Street use would be limited to only special events like exhibitions and parades. . . "

" . . . haul war veterans in Fourth of July parades. . . "

Ummmmm . . . so if I understand this correctly, you will be able to use these vehicles on "roadways for civilian use" during (and limited to) "special events like exhibitions and parades"?

I do that every year at the BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG Rally. We drive armored personnel carriers, half-tracks, and other "non-street legal" vehicles (including HMMWVs last year) during our cruise.

It is a pretty simple process actually.

I just get on the City Council's agenda with a parade permit request. I show them the route we will take and the times we will be there. Prior coordination / discussion with the Police Chief is a good thing. The City Council approves the request.

This year they even used the term "close the streets", but I informed them the request was not to close the streets - just to drive on them. One of the streets is even a state highway.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I've heard it's all about the DMV you go to. For the most part, the DMV employees have the authority to register it or not. As evident by the varying cases of registration difficulties
That is true but then getting "your state" issued clean title can be the issue after you get the plates. At least its an issue if you want to sell

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks