• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft Clanking Sound

DeucesWild11

OK, I have figured out the hard part, where the sound is coming from. When I turn the driveshaft quickly by hand I get a clank sound where the inner tube of the driveshaft it tapping against the outer tube. Only happens in low speeds when starting off or going from forward to reverse. I assume there is some kind of a bushing that came loose inside? Is this OK and safe, just annoying or ready to fail? Anyone else have this?

Oh and it's the rear long driveshaft..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about slack in the splines of the slip yoke? If so, you probably do need a new driveshaft. I'd at least pull it apart to see what the splines look like.

Are you sure that's where the slack is coming from and not a bad u-joint?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check all the U-joints. Could be blown U-joint cross. Get under there and grab the drive line real close to the U-joint, and see if there is any lateral play. If so, (as in ANY), change out the cross. Also, check out the spline joint, the same way. A little there, is OK. Keep us posted.

rustystud

Are you sure it's not in the gear box ? or differentials ? Gear backlash can sound like clanking when your turning the driveshafts. If you can see a visible amount of movement between the drive shaft and end shaft then you need a new driveline. The splines are shot. If what your experiencing is gear noise, then you need to check to see if you have the proper backlash. If the backlash is over spec. then you could have bad bearings, or bad gears, or a few other things, depending if it's the tranny or differentials.

DeucesWild11

I was literally under the truck and turned the drum for the parking brake and the clink/clank definitely came from inside the drive shaft. As soon as I put my hand on the driveshaft and did it again I could feel the inner rod hitting against the outer part of the driveshaft. I took a video, I'll try and post up.

When she drives it's fine no vibration or anything and everything is tight up underneath.

DeucesWild11

I think it's the rod or shaft that is inside the drive shaft, I wish I could see a cut-away from one but from looking on other sites I believe the inner shaft is held in place with rubber bushings, perhaps one or more of those failed which is allowing the inner shaft to be a little loose and when torque is applied it moves a little creating the ping sound against the inner part of the outer shaft. If it were something loose and broken off it would rattle around all the time.. I think.

Jeepsinker

If you are unsure, the best and safest option is to pull it out and bring it to a driveshaft shop for inspection and repair. It could (and probably will) save you money in the long run.

Jeepsinker

Just be careful. Have you ever seen what happens when a driveshaft comes apart running down the road? Even at relatively low speeds it can and usually does destroy the transfer case, floor pan ( bottom of deuce bed) air tanks, parking brake assembly, could get the fuel tank, and could crack the third member housing on the differential. These driveshafts have a lot of rotating mass and are downright mean when they come apart.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sound is coming from the parking brake drum. The driveshaft is hollow, there is nothing inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks