• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft Removal in the Field

axshon

Ok, so here is the M1009 I just purchased through GL. I've got a buddy with a car hauling trailer he uses for his rock crawler but it turns out he bent an axle last week and I'm not sure if it will be ready before I need to roll to pick up the new toy.

My next choice is going to be a car dolly (not enough cash for a full rental hauler) behind a C3500 2WD. I think if I do that, I am really going to want to disconnect the rear driveshaft though. If memory serves, I'll need to just disconnect at the pumpkin and bailing-wire the shaft up so it keeps pressure on the transfer case and doesn't leak. Keep everything in neutral obviously.

Can anyone give me an idea of what tools I could possibly need to get that driveshaft disconnected sitting in a parking lot somewhere? I assume GL is not going to want to wait around for me to do it on the lot there. I'm thinking of borrowing an impact wrench and bringing my air compressor and generator in the truck, but I hate to have those sitting in the truck when I stop overnight.

One way distance hauling is ~940 miles.

Attachments

91W350

A simple set of hand wrenches. There is no room for an impact wrench in this application. Used to be a 7/16" or 1/2" wrench on half tons. I will try to remember to slide under my M1009 and check.

Keith_J

Yes, simple combination wrenches are all you need...well, a brass drift and hammer will help. Throw in a pry bar for good measure.

A 1" ratcheting tie down is a better means to secure the drive shaft. Duct tape the universal joint's caps in place

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to tow it for that many miles, you would be better off just taking a pan and crescent wrench along and draining the transfer case. Then you can pull the drive shaft out completely and throw it in the back.

I sure would hate to see a drive shaft fall from it's perch in the middle of a 940 mile tow.

I recovered mine using a uhaul auto hauler trailer. This worked perfectly and then you would have to unbolt anything. The haulers are not much more than the two wheel dolly.

axshon

Don't try to go that far with a dolly. A car hauler is less than a hundred bucks per day around here.
Not according to UHaul. I need to be able to pick it up in MO and drop it off in MD. A local rental wouldn't allow that. 400 + tax for a hauler, < 200 for a dolly. Wife is not happy about the 10 day time limit to pick up ("Right at Thanksgiving?!?!? Nice.") and is rapidly losing interest in my latest 'project' as the cost of getting it home rises.

Still hoping my buddy has his axle fixed. I'll find out tonight or tomorrow.

Is there another outfit around that will rent a trailer that can be picked up there and be dropped off in MD? I don't know of one.

Wow that seems very high. My quote was like 70.00 a day and I could get it in GA and return it in AL. Im not sure if Penske rents them.

You might see if there is a SS member near that base that could pick it up for you and hold it until after Thanksgiving. That might make the wife happier.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just rented a Uhaul car trailer (not a dolly) and it ran me $55 for the day, with tax it was $60. Of course, though, it was a local rental, not one way.

axshon

I'd love to have someone get it and store it till I can get the license and registration (<30 days). Then I could just rent a car and drive it back later. BUT I'm new here, don't know nobody and nobody knows me so I think that's a non-starter on both sides. Shoulda been more active when I started looking into it but that's life.

If anyone here is also on Snipers Hide, you can ping me but I'm not seeing that go very far. :D

ThunderCracker, where did you get the quote, do you recall?

I just got on their website and entered all my info.

The good thing about this site it's like a family. I ended up getting a u-haul trailer from a member on here that I had never met. He let me come and get the trailer and use it without requiring anything from me. And then when I returned it he wouldn't take anything in return. There is a section on here under GL for load outs and pickups. You can post in there and give details on what you need. I'm sure someone will be close and more than willing to help you. Other members can give you references if you need them.

I know I have looked at vehicles on Redstone before for people and I may be picking up a M105 trailer for a guy I haven't met. He's in a similar situation like yours and can't get it until after the 10 day period.

Also keep in mind it may take time for your EUC to clear and that might by you time if one is required.

axshon

Sorry, I don't follow. It's already in Jefferson City MO and I'm in Maryland. Where do I trailer it to other than home 940 miles away?

What I meant was are you driving from MD to MO to get the blazer or are you getting out there a different way. If your driving you could rent a trailer in MD and return back to MD. Just have to weigh the additional fuel costs with the one way trailer cost.

rickf

Keep in mind that the 10 day pick up is 10 BUSINESS days. No weekends or holidays. A lot of the time you can get an extension although I would not recommend it because that is just longer for others to pick over your vehicle. It also does not include days that they do not schedule pick ups so you have a lot more than than 10 days.

axshon

According to the site, it's from the invoice paid in full date which was Friday. So I have until November 23rd.

You're right about the local though. I could get it here, bring it there and drop it back off there for 55 per day. Worth considering for sure.

Tlauden

I would say rent it locally, an empty trailer wouldn't cause to much of a rise in fuel costs for the trip down, get the truck home then return the trailer. How Long of a trip are you taking? ~940 miles one way, that's a heck of a round trip

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks