• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft U Joint Part Numbers

sailor2000

Does soemone have NAPA (or other commercial) numbers for the M35A2 drive shaft u-joints? ( I did search the forum... either get zero or a thousand hits... can't find 'em)

Thanks!

sailor2000

I was hoping to do the work this weekend if the weather gods will ever let it stop raining... so was looking for commercial part numbers I might get locally...

devilman96

Napa will cost you more than buying them from me with over night shipping... They dont carry the rear shaft or "transmission to transfer" case joints... PM or email me the PN's you want, or the joints you want and I will get you a quote with overnight if you have to have them NOW! sales@odiron.com

sailor2000

Ordered a complete set of u-joints from OD iron yesterday at 3 PM... they arrived this morning at 11 AM... heck.. I couldn't have gotten to NAPA that fast!!! Thanks Devilman!!!

sailor2000

OK.. what sadistic SOB invented the 'tab type' u joint? First you have to chisel off the 1/4" steel tab from the bearing and then press the bearing out.... double (no triple since I had to buy a press) work... is there some advantage to these over the circlip type u joint retainer??

Anyway.. some observations for what they are worth... From the rust on the mounting bolts I am guessing that these u-joints are from the 1985 rebuild.... some of the 1/2" bolts took everything I had to break loose... pen oil and a 1/2" impact did not impress them at all... had to get a breaker bar with a crows foot wedged against the frame and then hang my 320 lbs off a second breaker bar to get 1/2 of them loose... (that was the shaft to the front axle and the main drive shaft)... the jackshaft bolts from the tranny to the transfer were, at best, finger tight... that may have been the source of the vibration... intermediate shaft was easy...

I have lubed the u-jounts twice in the 400 miles I have had my darlin beast... when taking the old u-joints apart, I could only see traces of the new grease in one of the 4 bearings in each u joint.. I believe that the old (old, old, old) grease had hardened in the U joint cross so much that the grease gun could only force new grease into one of the 4 pathways. And even in the one bearing that I could see new grease it was only where the cross enters the top of the bearing cap... the old, dirty, nasty grease in that bearing looked much the same as the other 3...

So maybe the lesson is to grease often?

The old u-joits were working.. no loose ones that I have found... but they were VERY stiff compared to the new ones... bound to be better milage ahead!!!!

I have lost track of if the front drive shaft goes in with the driveshaft slip joint to the front or the rear... I am thinking rear... have I got that right???

Anyway... time for some ibuprofen, a couple bourbons and sleep before I tackle the re-installation in the morning....

Thanks again for all the help and data on here.... this is the coolest place in cyber space....

devilman96

If the tabs have not been in to long or had to much abuse they are usually easier (IMHO)... When they are frozen I usually give them the blue wrench for a bit and they come out... if not your in for a ride!

Slip joint goes to the rear... Glad its workin out for ya!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks