• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving 5-ton with parking brake on...

Rebar

I am sure that there is a thread on this and am asking if someone can direct me to it since I have not been able to find it. When I am out tooling around the farm in the M817, I am repeatedly engaging and disengaging the parking brake. Every now and then, I simply forget to release it. I drive for awhile until I realize something is not right (feel it or smell it :-() and then release it.

So, the question is regarding how much damage it does when my brain is in neutral and I forget to disengage the parking brake. The brake still works great and still holds the truck steady on a hill (I always chock it, too). Also, what tricks do you guys use to remember to disengage the parking brake (other than a brain transplant)?

Thanks. If there is a thread on this, please direct.

Rebar

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I believe there is a mwo for putting a leaver switch wired to the low air buzzer, where the e brake handle holds in down when the e brake is off and causes the buzzer to sound when the e brake is on

Last edited:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done the same with my M817. I adjusted the tension with the handle, then climbed under the truck to adjust the brake arm.....simple adjustment. Check to make sure you have plenty of pad left, though its unlikely you've done any real wear. I always double check now....easy to forget its on.

Flyingvan911

I'd just look under the truck and make sure you have pleanty of pad left. Then adjust it. The brake on my deuce will cause it to baulk and jump even in first low.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the worst results from a hot brake drum on our series of deuce http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?87648-Catastrophic-parking-brake-failure

It's a different deuce but the damage can be the same.

The Previous Owner of my deuce wired a simple button switch under the brake handle. When the handle is up a light on the dash would come on. An effect warning by Mickey Mouse but it worked for them.

My parking brake holds the truck when I throttle up but the 302 only has 190 ponnies. It helps my memory if the truck doesn't move when I hit the peddle...and I have.

I more regularly check the drum for cracks and signs of over-heating and hope it doesn't do what ^ that one did. We all need to be aware that the brake drum can come apart violently.

I'll get pics of the switch soon.

Rebar

I agree 1 Patriot. I think the more you get to know your truck the more you would notice the parking brake being on. I have "noticed" it before--this is not the first time it has happened--but I was focused more on the truck then and less on the task like this last time. A lot depends on what you are doing with the truck at the time and how focused you are on other things.

Rebar

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit yourself in the head with a hammer, everytime you leave it on.

It won't take long to remember to check it everytime.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parking Brake Light Switch

Here are a few photos of what was done on an early deuce around 1981 to light up the P brake. I'm uncertain it was done to meet regulation but do know my truck was registered commercially in 81' by the PO, so it makes sense. Real simple button switch on a block, grounded to the floor, run in a decorative plastic tube across the floor and to a sassy retro 80's light cover.

If it was regulated it would have been because of the number of trucks set ablaze due to improper cockpit management, it happens. If I didn't have checklists, TM's and the dash light, I'd do it tomorrow.

1956 Deuce Park Brake Light

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would retrofit the M35A3 parking brake light or add a buzzer. On my M35A3 you simply can't move the truck without noticing the brake on with the light and lack of movement, on the M923A2 the buzzer is pretty annoying. My Parking brake light doesn't work, on my to do list.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a peice of PVC pipe about 2 foot long slide it over the parking brake leaver. Now you can't get in the truck without lowering the parking brake.

Rebar

Just had to give a little feedback and props to Floridianson. What a great suggestion. As a non-electrical truck owner, the simple use of a piece of PVC pipe was perfect. I spray painted it bright red and white and now I never forget to raise and lower the parking brake. Great suggestion! I love this site!

Rebar

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you can use that pipe to hit yourself in the head, like I suggested!

commandojeff

It's all about repetition. I run through a short check list in my head of things to check right as I am about to move the truck. Also I have found that using the parking brake in my daily driver on a regular basis has taught me to do the same in the 5 ton. You will develop a muscle memory pretty quick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks