• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a 5 ton... topless!

commandojeff

The title says it all. Anyone ever drive their truck around town "topless"? It is a weird feeling that's for sure. Like riding in a giant bathtub. Gotta watch out for tree branches too! Not much warm weather left around here now. But we take advantage of it. Pics anyone?

Attachments

Scarecrow1

I drove mine from New Castle Delaware to Florence SC, No top and that was last Monday when the temp turned cold . I left 900 in the morning and got home 330 the next morning . I had a two hour lay over in down town DC to wait for a wrecker to come and load my bike on the back of the 5 ton . I drove thru rush hour traffic all the way from DC To Richmond what a nightmare .............that I will never forget or do again........

Maverick1701

I have taken my truck around topless (And with windshield down) but it was only an M35...not a 5-ton. It was interesting when I ran through a patch of bugs at speed...beyond that it was pretty fun.

Last edited:

TMNT

I drive M35A2 around without the top quite often. I love it when it's not too hot. The top is critical to escaping the Georgia sun when it's hotter than the mid 80's. It is way louder without the top though.

commandojeff

It is a lot louder without the top. We drive our WWII jeeps and WC around, rarely putting a top on them. More like never put tops on them. It seems like I never see the bigger trucks without a top. But it looks like more of you don't than I expected.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just in case there is a poll! Convertible is the only way to go! Been topless since the early '80s. Never owned a hard roof 'till this year, so that has to go.
Have sticks but need a new top though... Who is selling good new/repro canvas tops?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done it many times, but never with the windshield folded down...no desire to get bugs in my teeth. :)

Bruce

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have driven in the woods topless. I was told to put the top back on, as I was scaring the wildlife............

The only problem was branches- got sucker slapped by one, and it HURT!!!!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it legal to ride down the road with the windshield down? I know in TN if you ride a motorcycle without a windshield you have to have goggles on.

commandojeff

M215 - that looks awesome! I just got my cargo cover not too long ago. Figure I would wait til spring to try it out though. That is the setup I was planning on for parades. Lookin good.

m16ty - I am not sure if it is legal or not here in MO. I am also not sure on the law about motorcycles, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I am always wearing sunglasses or some kind of eye pro when riding with the windshield down. Then again there have been times I haven't. Kind of dangerous though. We have been riding our jeeps around with everything down and have never been stopped for it. I'm curious about this now that you said something.

Amer-team

Drove the M54A2C around this summer for a couple of months with the hard top off. It was great. Also gave a chance to really see what the engine was doing and RPM ranges for excess smoke. Didn't think to take a picture when it was down. Also got the windshield to go down. That took two guys and a lot of Kroil. My 1st goal for the truck is that everything is operational, so this was part of it. With the windshield down it was a bit odd trying to keep placement in the lane. My top is marked 1985 which matches the rebuild tag on the engine.

poolmike

Is it legal to ride down the road with the windshield down? I know in TN if you ride a motorcycle without a windshield you have to have goggles on.

I usually take the top off of my M715 in mid-March, and install it mid-Oct. If the temps are above 75, the windshield is down. It gets driven this way all Summer, daily. Only had one small town LEO tell me to put the windshield back up. I ignored him and drove away.... there is no law against it here in PA, nor should there ever be. Put some safety glasses on and go!

rrrr

Jeff, truck looks good. I think you have confirmed to your mom that your not "gay" ;) (inside joke)

Spring will be here soon enough and it will be nice to have another 9 series truck driving around in the parades and at shows.

commandojeff

Jeff, truck looks good. I think you have confirmed to your mom that your not "gay" ;) (inside joke)

Spring will be here soon enough and it will be nice to have another 9 series truck driving around in the parades and at shows.
Thanks Ray! I still give my mom a hard time about that. She doesn't take it seriously anymore though haha.

I can't wait to get it back out again. The first and only parade I had it is was the veterans parade in Florissant. Ross was there also. There were a couple other deuces and an M927. Man those 927s are long in person! The way this weather is going, I just might pull it back out before winter. I am hoping to get my oil and trans fluid changed over Christmas break. Might tear into the rear seal as well.

Is it bad that all I want for Christmas from my family is oil and transmission fluid? :cool: Much better than socks and a couple shirts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks