• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a 936A2 VS 923A2. Wrecker VS Cargo

corvette9

After Driving the two back to back all I can say is what a diff. This cargo truck is like a race car after driving the wrecker. Now I know the wrecker is 15000 pounds heavier than the cargo.

The cargo is very nimble. Handles very well. And will leave the wrecker in the dust. This cargo pulls a hill great. I don't see a need to touch the IP for more power. But you know I will.

The wrecker is very top heavy and not very stable on the road around corners. I think the 1400-20's make it much worse than the dual wheels and 1100-20's. The wrecker works it's T--s off pulling a grade. Steep hills are real tuff on the truck.

Just for the fun of driving a 5 ton the cargo wins hands down. But the truck is all but useless.

The wrecker has many use's and the cool factor is far more than the cargo. I would have a hard time making a choice between the two.

The only way is to have both. :-D

Brian G.

A good piece of advice to follow is: no matter how slow you go up that steep grade, go even slower down those steep grades. I have two grades here that are 7% and a couple sharp turns in them. Enough to make your butt pucker up if your going to fast. You can go down those hills alot of times to slow, but you only go down them once to fast!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't driven my wrecker on the road yet, but did up and down the driveway, I thought geez, I need to change the fuel filter or something then realized it's 37,000 lbs vs 22,000....... INDEED having both is the solution! :)

Reactions: HDN

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The little FYI that I have ran into with the wreckers is fill the tires to 90psi, drives a lot safer and nicer.
I was driving my wrecker with only 70psi in the tire (11.00x20's)and I hit a bad spot in the road from trucks making groves.
There was some puckering go on then!!!!

Last edited:

Hawssie

I just drove my new to me 936a2 home which was 350 mile one way trip and it really needs some help getting up grades. Pulled the Tehachapi grade at about 12 miles per hour at the worst. Doesn't like grades at all! But on the flat I had her up to 60-62 most of the whole way without a problem and that was with flat towing my f350 (I took mu pick upit off for the Tehachapi and had my passenger drive it over). I really could never get above 2100 rpm really over 2000 by accelerating. All and all drove really nice. I was surprised how well she handles and rode, just really loud even with the a hard top. I did end up driving at night which I didn't want to, for the last part and the headlights which I was afraid of worked great, But when I got home I realized it was because they were LEDS. Now I gotta do it all again next week for the other 936A2 I got. But this one will be a little lighter, as the first one had so much extra stuff in it. It ended up with 5 or 6 snatch blocks 4 being those monster double pulleys, about 10 sets of 3/8 chains, all kinds of shackles and hand tools, one 3/4 chain/ 2 1/2 chains, and those long tube supports for the wrecker boom to the ground, axle chain brackets for the tow bar bottle jacks etc etc. I think this next one is pretty much robbed empty except the spare..

corvette9

Yea mine is the same as yours. Rolls along at 55-60 on the flats but it dose not like grades. Rides very well due to how heavy it is. The cargo truck is much stiffer a ride than the wrecker. Mine came with all the same tools. Those giant snatch blocks are way to heavy for me to ever lift. Even the torchs and tanks are still there. The long stiff legs for the boom are where they belong. Can't see ever using them. The one thing I wish I got and did not was a tow bar.

Brian G.

Reactions: HDN

Hawssie

I agree I really wanted the tow bar. I got the chain brackets for the axle tow but as of yet seen a tow bar included in a sale over here. I didnt want to admit it but after dragging one of those 2 pulley jobs out I gave up and got the forklift. Its got to be a lot of work setting up one for what they say is needed for a heavy lift. With the stabilizers and stiff legs..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is a thread on here about warming up the 8.3 Cummins. It is possible to get 350+ HP out if it. That being said you still have to account for the driveline. You can damage something if you don't use that power correctly. If you turn it up a pyro is definitely in order especially if you are heavily loaded.
Before you tow anything with it make sure your insurance will cover it. I had an M816 with a Progressive Farm policy. They had it insured as a boom truck and my agent told me that I was not insured to tow anything (except a pintle hitch trailer like a M105), even my own stuff. You have to have a commercial tow policy for that. Been there, done that. Your mileage (and insurance company) may vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks