• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a M925A2 Back From Auction

kenrevi

Hello Everyone,

I've been looking for a 5-ton for a while and finally found a M925A2 at auction that with everything I think I want and it looks like it might go for a reasonable price. The issue is it's ~2,700 miles from me, and I got a couple of potential quotes for shipping it to me for $4k-$6K. So I was think about flying out and driving it back, would I be crazy to drive it back?

Thanks,

Ken

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on the truck
I drove mine over 960 miles back, but it was a totally fresh rebuild.
New batteries, belt, hoses, tires, etc.
Not one issue with it.
I was prepared for the trip. Parts cash tools etc.

That is a long way with an unknown truck.
If something happens or breaks you will spend that amount and then some.
Dont forget insurance.
At 50/55 mph that trip will take a while.

Too many unknowns.
Be safe and ship it.

74M35A2

The longest straight line distance across the country is 2800mi from FL to WA. Would it even be possible to find one further away?

kenrevi

Depends on the truck
I drove mine over 960 miles back, but it was a totally fresh rebuild.
New batteries, belt, hoses, tires, etc.
Not one issue with it.
I was prepared for the trip. Parts cash tools etc.

That is a long way with an unknown truck.
If something happens or breaks you will spend that amount and then some.
Dont forget insurance.
At 50/55 mph that trip will take a while.

Too many unknowns.
Be safe and ship it.
That's my biggest concern, something will go wrong

I've done it. It's always an adventure...

AZ trucks always go way high...
Thanks, good to know.

The longest straight line distance across the country is 2800mi from FL to WA. Would it even be possible to find one further away?
Probably not, its the opposite diagonal.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like said above depends on the truck. I have bought a truck that was drained we filled all fluids; fired it up and drove it 250miles with no problem. But that is not 2700mi. I say what the heck go for it. The big thing is check all the fluids and grease the drive shaft ( you need a needle grease adapter for 2 u-joints) Good luck

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The longest one I've done was an M931A2 from Indianapolis to Phoenix by way of Columbus OH, Waco Tx, and Ft Campbell Ky. I had over 4000miles in the trip.

It was a fresh rebuild. The charging system failed and I charged batteries every night in the hotel rooms.

I've done bunches of 1500 mile recoveries from Ft Riley KS to Tucson AZ.

Last edited:

therooster2001

We did a 1700 mile, with a drained truck, which could have had almost everything wrong with it. Truck had minor things to deal with besides no fluids, and drove like a champ. The truck will most likely be fine, but the age of little things that might go wrong along the way have a high risk of adding up. One very lucky / unlucky owner here had a great price on a gorgeous rebuild, which blew a piston within miles of removal. On my truck, within one week after it was back, threw a torque rod, not a great thing on the side of the road with no parts and limited tools. I have had my truck a year, and I feel like I just am starting to know all the systems and how they should act, and how to fix them if they start acting up. The 4K pages of TM should have been read through, even the ones you don't think will happen. As most have said it's an adventure. Alternative would be to take a seasoned guy who could help spot issues, and even help fix, but there are some things that can't be fixed on the side of the road, and a single tow and repair could put you way over your shipping. 98G comes to mind where he has hauled all sorts of trucks all over the country, and for the most part has little issue, but he must have a butt of steel, no hearing, a brain full of smarts and experience, and a lot of luck. He has also been on the side of the road with shredded tires if I remember right. It's tough to get those spare parts enroute. The 4K shipping is like insurance, but that long, and an unknown truck, might be where I call it.

Goobs

I bought mine in Delaware and flew up and drove it back. That was 1700 miles. I would take someone with you to share the driving and help if any "situations" come up. I flew my brother out and we had a blast driving it back. Drove it through snow, sleet, hail rain, cold snow, snow and more snow. We made the trip just fine and drove from Delaware to TN, stayed at a friends house and then drove from TN to central Texas. Since I couldn't put a bunch of tools on the plane, we just stopped at a Walmart and bought a jack, large tools and misc stuff you may need. What wasn't used when I got home went back to Walmart.

Goobs

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Its give or take chances. A tow bill will set you back 4 to 600 depending on location plus repairs. If you do drive it you need to contact members on your route in case something happens. You also need about 250 lbs in spare parts. If it was a kansas readiness truck you would be just fine on your travels.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Rail freight is usually the lowest cost way to ship something heavy more than 250mi. There are terminals everywhere. Try a quote that way too for more options if that is really the one you have to have.

kenrevi

Rail freight is usually the lowest cost way to ship something heavy more than 250mi. There are terminals everywhere. Try a quote that way too for more options if that is really the one you have to have.
I never thought of that. I'll need to look into that, what is the best way to get it to the rail yard?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Aruba1

I drove mine 32 miles and when I got home I noticed that one of the rear axle seals blew off. If the drive was longer I would have cooked the bearings. Isn't anything else available that is closer to you? 2700 is a WHOLE LOT on these truck going 60 mph and 8 mpg.

dmetalmiki

That is one long trip to risk in an unknown (any) vehicle. Weigh up the cost of fuel, tools, helper/s, insurance, food drink. sundries. And I would half guess you would not be a whole lot of bucks away from train freight rates and a couple of short drives. Good luck anyway, with either choice, keep posting up your progress,

Rmtaunton

But it's an adventure you will always remember I'll never forget the two I did but at minimum I would get a local SS guy to pick it up and give her a good look over and test drive , one of the main reasons I bought mine from Polk is I knew I could talk Garret into doing just that for me ... Thanks again jeepsinker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Win the auction, make the rail arrangements (terminal-terminal is cheapest), then pay a local SS member close to the auction lot to go get the truck, check the fluids, and drive it to the freight terminal. Have local SS friend make a large label of how to start, move, and stop the truck, place it inside attached to the dash, with your phone number on it. Should be fine. It is how they transport nearly all new cars across the US daily. Maybe close to 2 weeks transport time, but should save good money and reduce unforseen risks by 90% I'd say.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must be a gambling man... I wish you the best of luck! Talk to members on your route before your trip. That way they have an idea you may call...

Rmtaunton

First he has to win it and I wish you luck !!

At that distance remember even at absolute minimum and all the stars align it will after taxes cost a minimum of 2000 to get her home

I would just take your time there will be more but if it goes for a smoking deal go all in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

I say make sure all ducks are in a row of course, then if so go all in! You'll remember the recovery trip the rest of your life. Bring someone else familiar with the M939 series along if you can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks