• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driving deuce in cold with no defrost.

bkfran69

how do u guys do it with no defrost. My windows on my normal vehicle are so frosted up in the morning and I scrape them they still frost up until the enginge warms up. the Deuce dosnt have a defrost does it?

dittle

If it has a heater there is a second "lever" that you can pull that will direct some of the air from the floor to the defroster. If you have a heater you might check to see if your air ducts up to the defrosters are hooked up or if the air gate down under the dash is working properly.

Kohburn

if you have a cab heater it should have defrost - if you aren't getting heat then it's probably because the valves to let coolant flow to the heater are closed.

bkfran69

I do not have a deuce yet, just thought that they didnt have a defrost because some em dont even come with a heater.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce has a heater and therefore a defroster. I lay a piece of blanket across my windshield, held at each end by closing the door on it. In the morning, I simply pull the blanket off and the windshield is clear. Two problems though, the idea is a miserable failure if you have freezing rain and it doesn't help when the windows fog up. The defroster actually works quite well on my Deuce once it warms up.

Kohburn

try clear painters plastic rather than a blanket (or a heavy black 6 mil) - freezing rain just flakes right off.

bkfran69

My uncle drove deuces when he was in the Army. He said they carried an ice scraper.
ya ice scraper thats funny. but after you get the windows clear with the ice scraper they will frost back over unil your engine is warm. I have to scrape my windows every morning when it gets below 35 deg sometimes and that happens quite often in the midwest.

Flyingvan911

ya ice scraper thats funny. but after you get the windows clear with the ice scraper they will frost back over unil your engine is warm. I have to scrape my windows every morning when it gets below 35 deg sometimes and that happens quite often in the midwest.
Yep. My uncle said it could be quite a battle sometimes.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked my heater Saturday. It works, and the defroster too!

We may have a cold winter here in Florida..... rofl

mckeeranger

Our M35A2 has a heater, and the defroster works great, once the engine is warm enough.

Our XM817 does not. So, I carry an ice scraper (for the inside and outside) and use defogging gel. It works pretty well, but not as well as a defroster.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One thing blows my mind about Fla deuces.....I have never seen one that came out of FL that didn't have a heater....but I have bought a bunch out of Ohio and other parts north and they didn't have a heater...go figure.:cookoo:

As a field expedient we used to put a small block of wood at the back of the hood so hot air from the engine would blow out on the windshield.
It worked pretty well as long as the temp wasn't subzero.

Not having heated mirrors also sucks like a Hoover.

sandcobra164

Once the motor is warm, there seemed to be enough hot air blowing in to make this a non issue on my deuce. I've since installed a heater as driving while wrapped in a blanket was never the best of ideas.

91W350

Once the motor is warm, there seemed to be enough hot air blowing in to make this a non issue on my deuce. I've since installed a heater as driving while wrapped in a blanket was never the best of ideas.
Been there before! I also have slammed foam strips in the door frames...

wb1895

Does putting Rain-X on the inside and outside of the windshield and windows help?? I have been pondering this for some time now.