• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving Habit

JR

What are your driving habits? I have been starting in second alot, shifting around 2100 and double clutching some. Occasionally shifting fast at 2600 if I am pulling into traffic.

I always start in 2nd. but i got a airshift case. if im on a little incline then i start out in first. but on flat ground empty i start in 2nd. 1st just is unwound soon as you let out on the clutch

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
From zero: 2-3-4-5 in low gear, then 4-5 in high. Shift around 2300. Ususally stay in high until I come to a stop again.
Ahh, and it's an airshift.
What he said. If you know how to split shift low and high its like having two extra gears.
Pulls a lot better when you have a load.
Putting it in low range at low speeds also keeps it from bucking and jumping around and to me it seems to steer easier.

tmbrwolf

Shifting from second when empty is usually ok, I have had to repair many a deuce transmission because the operator started in second gear though, here's why, the second / third gear syncro has a removable collar that is kept from spinning on the shaft with a single 1/4" woodruff key, not a very stout setup, snap the woodruff key and you loose both second and third gear's and bugger up the shaft! This happens with either the airshift or sprag transmission's, It's always better to start in first and get the truck moving, It is also not a good idea to shift the transfer case while the truck is moving, I have to repair 2 - 3 transfers a year from folks doing exactly that. Not wanting to tell anybody how to drive their rig, just passing on my personal experiance!

@ tmbrwolf: I shift the tcase only when the gears are in neutral, so there is no possibility of load coming from the front end while doing so, even if I slip the clutch by accident. EG I shift down from the 5th to neutral, then high gear, then into the forth. I also don't do that when the airshift / FWD is engaged. Is this still problematic in your opinion? What is prone to fail exactly when doing this? I always thought that this is OK when done right.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here goes. At this point in my life I shift at a reasonable speed and rpm. I usually start out in 2nd when empty.
But in Nam we ran hard and split shifted on the run frequently without consequences?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Driving Habit

roger-wilco-66 said:
From zero: 2-3-4-5 in low gear, then 4-5 in high. Shift around 2300. Ususally stay in high until I come to a stop again.
Ahh, and it's an airshift.
Me too. Works good on uphill starts.

tmbrwolf

RE: Re: RE: Driving Habit

Most of the time the woodruff key let loose when the operator started out in 2nd gear with a loaded truck, when I drove them in the military I used to start off in 2nd gear, but only when empty and I never had problems, but wanted to pass on info about the weak link in the thing, I don't reccommend it but using commen sense you'll probably never have a problem. The problem with shifting the transfer on the fly has been with the syncro, they are the weak link there, I've gotten them in the shop here with all the teeth stripped off, with resulting damage to the gears, I try to stress to the operators to stop the truck, shift the transfer, then continue operations, there really IMHO isn't the need to shift it while moving, Interestingly I usually get a few 5 tonners that get the same kind of damage so it's not a "duece thing". Again just passing on some personal experiance with them. As a side note I used to think as a motor sergeant "if you want to see how to break something, give it to a GI" , well I'll tell ya, GI's ain't got nothing on a firefighter!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Driving Habit

tmbrwolf said:
As a side note I used to think as a motor sergeant "if you want to see how to break something, give it to a GI" , well I'll tell ya, GI's ain't got nothing on a firefighter!
Most GI's have some training on how to operate the truck before they get in it and will have someone screaming down their throat if they tear it up doing something stupid.

Most volunteer firefighters are as young as 16 and have no training on how to operate it and nobody cares if they tear it up. All they konw is they want to drive to big 6X6 truck.

Our local FD has a CUCV ambulance they run medical calls with. They were going to a call the other day and the truck started blowing oil out of the engine down the side of the truck. I understand they had to get to the call but after they responded nobody thought to see what was wrong (or atleast cheak the oil) untill they got back to the station. At witch time they found there was no oil in the engine and the engine was trash :shock: .

devilman96

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Driving Habit

Start in second, shift at 2700-2800... I love her but... when shes goes she goes... I'll hunt down a LDS and a 13 speed!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Driving Habit

In traffic I shift low range 2-3-4-5 high range 4-5. I won't do that any more. Everything seems OK, but best not to risk it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks