• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving it home

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So hopefully this ain't a duplicate thread, don't want to get water boarded. :roll: But anyways, got a couple of people that suggested that I just drive my duece home, even though it doesn't have a title or plates. Some have said that they've done it. I just can't see that being a worthwhile risk. All it would take is a happy accident and BOOM!, I'm down by the river, living in a van. I got way too much on the line to risk that. Heck, the fine alone would probably pay for the transport costs. Even if the accident ain't your fault, I'm sure they'd impound the thing, and I know a guy with a big wrecker that charges a grand just to start the truck. Anyway, got a couple of options going so I'll play it safe. I mean, it's not like I'm Terrell Pryor or anything. :cool:

91W350

I drove mine home from SD, about 700 miles the route I took. I had insurance and an antique tag off of another Kaiser, a 68 M715, but it just said Kaiser Jeep, never mind that mine was an AM General. I never put the tag on, just drove it home with my M1008 in tow. Glen

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So we know you have a truck that needs moved, is it a purchase? If you have the title signed over to you and insurance, you should be all set. Just like buying a car.

Jimma

If you are worried about insurance go ahead and call or go online to hagarty and get it insured. You can email them some gl pictures by right clicking on them and copying them to your email to them. You will need outside, inside cab and a engine shot. You can do it over the phone and on line and print your insurance cards. Your serial number or vin number should be on your paid bill or listed online.

bones1

A lot less trouble and worry if you do it right. I tagged and insured my Deuce before I even saw it and had it driven from Illinois to Maryland to me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have insurance, and accident, you might loose your license(doubtful) but you won't losse you house.

Nobody is suggesting you do anything stupid.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we know you have a truck that needs moved, is it a purchase? If you have the title signed over to you and insurance, you should be all set. Just like buying a car.
I'm buying it, but it's never been titled. It was used on a farm so they didn't need one (the original buyer) The guy I'm buying it from is on leave so I have a time issue to get it moved. Don't think I can get it insured if it ain't got a title yet.

91W350

A lot less trouble and worry if you do it right. I tagged and insured my Deuce before I even saw it and had it driven from Illinois to Maryland to me.
That will not work in Kansas, out of state vehicles have to go through a VIN inspection prior to tagging, done by the highway patrol or local sheriff's office. Out of state antiques require a patrol inspection.

All states are different, probably even courts within a state, no tags or non-transferred tags here are a show up in court with proper registration and dismissed for court costs proposition. A long ways from a license suspension.

An accident or stop without insurance will get you suspended though. Glen

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You could always use the--its from out of state, they don't issue titles on trucks this old-- excuse. I have had MVs for many years without tags on them(legally thank you) and never had ONE ISSUE. You should be fine.

"Should be" COULD become a big PITA, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always use the--its from out of state, they don't issue titles on trucks this old-- excuse. I have had MVs for many years without tags on them(legally thank you) and never had ONE ISSUE. You should be fine.

"Should be" COULD become a big PITA, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
Somebody axed me if I was afraid of being pulled over driving it home. I'm not afraid of being pulled over, it's the tazed,shot,maced,incarcerated, and fined heavily thing....

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had insurance on both of my trucks when I drove them home. That and your paid in full invoice or bill of sale should be all you need.

Make sure you call your insurance company and you tell them what it is. I sent mine (State Farm) pictures of my deuce so there was no confusion. Most insurance companies will not give you the courtesy insurance period for a new vehicle if it's a vehicle they would not normally insure. Glad I called with the M818, because State Farm will not insure a M818 in Florida any more.

91W350

State Farm here too. 27 years on the street and I have yet to stop a military vehicle for a traffic infraction, not an OD or Sand one anyway. Stopped a few recruiters and cars, even made some DUI arrests.

I have stopped to talk to a lot of service men though, just to thank them for their service and to wish them safety in their travels. When I speak to other officers and troopers, they do not stop MVs either, but this is Kansas. We have them running around all the time from Guard Units to McConnell, Forbes and Riley, we are also right on the intersection of Interstate 135 and Interstate 70. Glen

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Somebody axed me if I was afraid of being pulled over driving it home. I'm not afraid of being pulled over, it's the tazed,shot,maced,incarcerated, and fined heavily thing...
Not to mention the cell mate "Big Bubba" that want to call you Geni and rub you like a lamp.:shock:

I have driven them back and had them trailered....just depends on your threshhold for excitement.

Heavysteven

Bill of sale and insurance card all you need in Georgia. I had my insurance agent email the card. But.....I had mine delivered to my house was worth the money.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Somebody axed me if I was afraid of being pulled over driving it home. I'm not afraid of being pulled over, it's the tazed,shot,maced,incarcerated, and fined heavily thing....
I was just wondering if this is the NEW URBAN SPEAK thay are teaching in schools now because Proper ENGLISH is NOT PC correct in certain areas :cookoo:

Truckoholic

I have insured MANY vehicles before I ever actually had the title. I use state farm, and everytime I buy a vehicle in some other state, I just go in with the VIN and other information, and they put it on my insurance, and give me proof of insurance to bring with me. Most states will give you temporary trip permits to move a truck through a state where it is not registered. Check out this website. KellerPermits - J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.