• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving test.....in the Deuce

dittle

So here's kind of a "stupid" question but a couple of the above posts got me thinking. If you want to get your CDL-B and go to take it with your Deuce will the DOT let you use the Deuce even though it does not meet the CDL-B requirements as a vehicle? Granted the 5 ton and up no question.

Gordon_M

A couple of similarities with here in the UK

One chap here wanted a track laying vehicle license and took the test in his Universal (Bren) Carrier - I'd have loved to see that. My Sno-Cat steers by articulation rather than track braking, so you could argue that I wouldn't need that license, but since it has all-steel tracks chances of me wanting to drive it on the road are really slim.

The UK is now pretty much lined up with Europe about license limits, so an ordinary car license entitles you to drive anything up to 7500Kg, which has to be the same as your 15,000lb limit. Trouble is that it is GROSS, not NET, so if you are driving something at 7501 Kg it is an offence. When I had the DUKW I just drove it anyway, although it was 2" over width, and would you believe no-one ever stopped me? or if they did they are tucked up underneath the hull somewhere 'cause I didn't notice them.:smile:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal! I'll probably relent in time, but I still think there need to be actual clarification on their part. :-D

LMK Rat - I'll swap my CA license for an IA license next time I'm in town. I'll just need to borrow your truck for the test.

Gastrap

So here's kind of a "stupid" question but a couple of the above posts got me thinking. If you want to get your CDL-B and go to take it with your Deuce will the DOT let you use the Deuce even though it does not meet the CDL-B requirements as a vehicle? Granted the 5 ton and up no question.
They told me as long as the truck had all the stuff it came with in working order you'r good to go for the test, but no it would not pass a commercial truck inspection as-is.

Gastrap

You dont have plates yet? Was that deuce from GL or private?
GL. Hopefully have a title in a week or so. I just carry my invoice with recieved on date at the bottom so I can drive it 30 days without plates-they were fine with that at the license station.
I picked mine up a day or two before you at Camp Dodge.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That settles it. I'll run Iowa plates and get me an Iowa drivers license. That should really make the SOCAL LEOs happy if I somehow manage to screw up enough to get pulled over.

rat4spd

GL. Hopefully have a title in a week or so. I just carry my invoice with recieved on date at the bottom so I can drive it 30 days without plates-they were fine with that at the license station.
I picked mine up a day or two before you at Camp Dodge.
I went to the county courthouse to check on the legality of driving it, and they said abscent a title there is no way to legally drive it, as it was never titled before. Only prior titled vehicles can drive for 30 days without plates.

BUt since you are getting away with it, I might also.

Gastrap

I went to the county courthouse to check on the legality of driving it, and they said abscent a title there is no way to legally drive it, as it was never titled before. Only prior titled vehicles can drive for 30 days without plates.

BUt since you are getting away with it, I might also.

I called ahead to the license station to make sure it was OK & they said no problem. When I got there, they passed it around among 3 of them & all agreed it was fine. They even went by the received date instead of the auction end date, which would have been more than 30 days.

Too bad they wont be so understanding at the courthouse when I'll have to pay penalties for being over 30 days. The title will come with the auction end date I believe. I'll try the received date with them too if I get the title soon enough. They wont issue an extension.

Gastrap

Hope you are prepared for the fees. It's about $300 a year.
Register at 10 tons instead of 12, it will be about $205 then:-D most of us wont be hauling full gross rating with an antique anyway. With that, fees & taxes I'll spend about $400 when the day comes.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks