• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving thru sand

redneck20

I tried searching but haven't had much luck. And running out of time.

84 m923 stock with the dually tires

I'm going out on a trail run in the morning and about half the train is in a sandy dry river bottom.
I've driven on sand plenty if times just not in a heavy truck.

I allready know to air down , I'm thinking somewhere in the 20-30psi range?

It'll be mostly slow going , not like a desert race... Should I run 6H or 6L?

Any other tips?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 11.00x20's do not do so good in sand. Just put it in 6x6 and air down a little and you should be fine.
Most of the problems will come when you try to turn.

RustyM923

As mentioned above, make shallow turns (wide) and speed up for very soft sand.

Always plan on stopping you truck facing downhill (or flat), never uphill.

Don't forget your shovel.

When in doubt, hammer down. :)

redneck20

Ohhh....lol

I really don't wanna be stuck out there and spend my whole weekend shoveling sand.

I'm avoiding all the wet areas like the plague.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ever offroad slect a gear and or range that will allow the truck/motor to go to full RPM and stay there if you need it and not bog down no matter what the ground under the tires is.

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should also invite a friend along that has a 5 ton to help you just in case you get stuck. Or just post something on the site to invite other people along on your adventure.

F18hornetM

There are many types of sand. Living at the beach all my life, sand here is kinda loose, soft. requiring lowering air in any type vehicle unless you want it to have to pull its butt off. In Marines drove in desert sand for 2 years. Was different. More course with some soft parts. Since you will have no load I'd lower down until bulge as much as you can. I run jeep tires here at 12 lbs..all summer long. If I remember right we ran our M35s and M813s at 30 psi. They were never really loaded heavy and I never saw any have an issue. When I was in we didn't have super singles or radials. Only Non-directional. Really never saw an issue with them. I would not be afraid to take any of mine on our beach here, but would let air way down. Problem here is govt wont let a tandem axle truck on the beach... go figure. Good luck have fun

whiskey357

Banned
friend with 5 ton wrecker for trip is nice to have......just keep the rpms up and cooooool it on the turns...best of luck some pics of you stuck in sand would be nice to share hehehehe

F18hornetM

I've replaced many on line trucks where the crew got it in sand and or soft dirt and hoped the heck out of it. But that usually only happens loaded, not empty. Line buckets are always loaded unlike most of our MVs. Mostly that has been on 6 wheelers, cant remember one on a 10 wheeler but have seen drive shafts rung off on them. Still, less hop is better for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks