• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving without doors?

randini

Ok, so summers a long ways away, but, I am thinking about removing the doors for summer. It is a jeep..kinda. Can I do this? Is it legal? Jeep CJ's run without doors. What about Mirrors? Am I stupid? I seem to remember some discussion about this before, but in searching, I could not find anything. Thought?

MilSpec78

You may want to call UT's department of highway safety. They have pointed me in the right direction on these types of questions in the past.

Otherwise, please take pics and share if you do it. Man, I can't wait for warmer weather.

Good luck.

randini

WMO modification is Done!, I have the tag and all. Maybe I am just too ready for summer. The cab get so hot. I am thinking with to doors off, it would not be too bad, during the summer.

steelandcanvas

WMO modification is Done!, I have the tag and all. Maybe I am just too ready for summer. The cab get so hot. I am thinking with to doors off, it would not be too bad, during the summer.
You do know about cracking the front windshields open a few inches and closing the door glass, right? It makes the cab tolerable in the Summer. What are you going to do for mirrors when you yank the doors off?

GHall

I do believe you need at least one rear view mirror. At least in Tx you do. We have yearly inspections of our vehicles and must have at least one to pass.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will need to put some sort of bar across the door opening to keep you from falling out. Still need to use seat belts.
It will not be much cooler without the doors since a lot of the heat comes up through the floor.
The trick to staying cool while a deuce is in motion is to crack the front windshields a few inches and roll up the side windows. This will force the hot air back down through the floor while keeping a breeze going. You will still cook if you have to run under 30 MPH or get stuck in traffic.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your state laws, some states require a door there, or at least something that latches. Some states require a door if it came from the factory with a permanently attached door (like most trucks and cars do, but Jeeps don't if yours had a soft top), and some states don't care one way or another.

Scarecrow1

I drove a UPS truck for 25 years so trust me with or without the doors on you are going to be hot. It is the nature of the beast so do like many others have done and follow their advice. Doors are on there for a reason and if your in a accident they may save your life...... Some have put A/C in theirs seems to be worth the investment if your going to keep it long term......Good luck and be safe.

Danger Ranger

I don't really see why you couldn't...Check your local laws as has been stated already.

I would find a new way to mount the mirrors, your are going to want them with a truck that size. Even many Jeeps are required to mount mirrors with doors off. I do not think tube doors are necessary, but seatbelts are. I just watched a video yeseterday of a guy in a Jeep without his on, and he started going downhill and fell out! Good thing he caught himself, but it could have been worse.

-No doors (check)
-seatbelts (check)
-tube doors....maybe (check)
-mirrors (check)

Ford Mechanic

Start trying to loosen those hinge pins now. I had a top one that was siezed, and I was trying to straighten my mirror brackets. Had to snap the top part off then remove the whole hinge so i could get it out with a little help from the torch. The mirrors should stay on without the doors as long as you put the hinge pin back in.

Oh yeah, they're heavyer than jeep doors. Probably won't be able to pull them off by yourself. Good luck! I'm thinking about removing mine when I take it to the beach this summer, but haven't decided yet. I'd really like to have a bikini style soft top for mine like what you can get for the jeeps. All top no back. Guess I'll buy a new one when the time comes and go to cutting on the one already on my truck.

charlietango

I just drop the top, and drop the windshields. GOod enough and less headache dealing with the mirror mounts. Easy to keep the top in the cab with you if it decides to rain and put it back together sort of quickly. No tools required at least.

just my 2 cents

jeryshery

My dad had a 5ton crane truck from the 40s. It had a latch that someone had installed that held the door open about 8 inches... I think it was a great idea. Especially for all that heat you get from the firewall and floor. I had to drive a truck I bought home 50 miles in 112 degree heat on mostly blacktop roads with the top and doors on. Even with the windshields open and the windows down the only way I could keep the cab bearable was to crack the driver door open with my left foot.

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or You could pick up one of the awesome A/C kits like the one I just recieved from fellow member bbf.
Take the doors off or leave them on. Just direct the blast of cold air where you want it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks