• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driving without doors?

badga the badger

thanks everyone. Ill get on this in the morning when its cooler.

Topless ?? Whats involved w/taking the top off and stowing it behind you ?? What about top off and windshield folded down w/goggles ??
Its got a insulated hard top and dont have a way to get it down. well safely anyways. so thats why the windsheild cracked isnt doing it.

Barrman

No doors helps around town and below 30 mph. I did that with my Gasser M35 a few years ago. However, above 30 mph or on long trips. Close everything except the front windshield. Open it just enough that it hits the hood when the hood is up. Once rolling, you will be comfortable. All the hot air in the cab will be forced out and all the engine/transmisison/tcase heat will not get it. The floor will be cool enough after an hour at 2500 rpm driving in 100° temps that bare feet is actually comfortable.

We had this kind of heat coming back from the 2007 GA Rally in a M35A2 and Sermis was wearing flip flops. We changed drivers every 2 hours or 100 miles. whichever came first. He always had to put his flip flops back on before he could get out after his shift.

Another time Kwai and I brought a M109 across I-10 out of Las Cruces, NM. I saw bank clocks showing 110° yet I was comfortable in the truck.

There really is no way to be comfortable in a slow moving non air conditioned vehicle this time of year. You can get a little help pulling the doors. However, if they haven't been off yet. Plan on buying new hinge pins. If you hit them hard enough with the hammer trying to get them out, you will get to pull the hinges themselves off the truck. That means probably around 3-5 of the 16 bolts will break off inside the captured nuts in the door frame. That means you get to drill and tap them out. I found it wasn't worth my time and effort pulling the doors. Your results may vary.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see UPS truck drivers all the time with no doors on their step vans. If it's legal for them, it's legal for you. Just wear a seat belt so you don't hit a pothole and fall out of the cab.
They have doors, they're just sliding doors and they leave them locked open so they can jump in and out faster. And so the ladies can admire their calves when they wear shorts. :razz:

TheWeatherMan

I took my hard top off today... took me and a friend. I just put it on blocks in the bed. Im thinking the doors are going to come off tomorrow for our curse night in town

NickAir

Windshield open 4 inches and windows up makes a positive air pressure in the cab to keep the hot air from blowing in from the engine compartment. When stopped this will bake you. Doors off sounds fun. never tried it, yet.

jesusgatos

Many states require doors on all vehicles, unless they were not equipped with doors as originally manufactured. So in those states older Jeeps like CJ's are OK to run without doors, but newer Jeeps are not (they all came with doors of some kind). Not trying to tell anybody what they should/not do, but there are laws on the books about doors in some states....

Awesome Possum

Young Padawan Badga (my son) forgets that we're gonna try to take the back of the hardtop off and make temp vertical supports. Did this on my first deuce, except I used shelter halfs to make a bikini top. It was really cool (if not that much cooler), and it kept us getting baked like we did the first, and only, time we went out topless. He still hasn't convinced me that I want to look at the ground speeding by so quickly with nothing between me and the asphalt. In the end he'll probaby win.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks