• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DRMO/GL McCoy pick up/drive off?

kennys@wi.rr.com

"Driven Onto The Lot", that generally they are ready to go, with the exception of minor things, Ie dead battery, fluids, low tires etc,,,

In general this may be the case. However, as an individual who has done multiple recoveries from McCoy for myself and for others, this is not to be taken as a sure sign the truck will indeed work when you get there.
Some things need to be considered.
When did the vehicle come onto the lot? Some of these trucks have been there for over three years, a lot can happen in that time. Someone goes to look at a truck and checks the fuel tank and doesn't put the cab back on, checks the oil and again no cap. The batteries in these things are not the best to begin with, make them sit in the cold for three years and they have nothing left to give.
Sure the truck was driven onto the lot, but how did it stop when it got there? I have gone up for two seperate trucks only to find the trucks had no brakes. The GL guys don't get in these trucks and test drive them around the lot to give you a complete condition report. They take what they know and put it in the posting for you, it is still up to you to do an inspection or buy it knowing you know nothing about this truck.

I could go on and on about this but I will spare everyone. It is always best to plan on going for a none running POS and hope you get lucky. Even while these things sit in the lot and you are sure the picture showed a perfect truck I have still heard horror stories of how when I went to get my stuff it wasn't anything like what was in the picture, the pic showed my truck with this and now it's not there, where did this scratch or ding come from, again the list goes on and on.

Mike and Seth work very hard to keep the integrity of their GL lot in check. However, they can not control everything that every visitor to their lot does. I had a friend of mine on the base for the first time the other day and he was asking all the usual questions a new guy ask. One that sticks out to me was asking if he could start a truck to make sure it ran. I think the answer Seth gave was perfect, "no, becasue if you start it and do something to cause the engine to blow out not you know that and won't bid on it but some one else won't know that and will bid on it". This takes me back to them not being able to control the actions of all their visitors. When I am up there many times they have to leave and help other customers and I know they have to do the same with them as well. What happens when they are helping me and not watching the other guy? I know I'm off on a tangent here and I am sorry for that, but after 2 visits there this week and seeing first hand how people come and go it's best to never trust that someone else didn't accidently do something to that truck, piece of equpment or trailer you know looks great in the pic and says it was driven onto the lot. Always preview when possible, and when you can't get a friend who knows how or a reputible person that has been known to do this do it for you.

Sorry for the rant, but Mike and Seth treat me very good and I would hate to see anyone think that something was going to run and get up there and now it doesn't so they look to blame the guy that posted it as "driven onto lot" for their truck now not running.

Flyingvan911

I went to the GL lot and previewed all the deuces and made a list from most to least desirable based on the features the truck had. Hardtop, heater, troop seats, tarp & bows, amount of rust, etc. I bid for the best truck first but it went out of budget. I did win the second best truck (IMHO).

I then took an experienced deuce owner to check out the truck so I could buy parts while the EUC cleared. The truck seemed to be ready to go. After the EUC cleared, we went back with pleanty of tools and the truck drove home great. I also had a back up plan in case the truck died on the side of the road. It is still running and stopping strong.

As mentioned, you never know the real condition of a deuce until you give it a thorough check up. Even then it might suprise you. An experienced friend to help you is the most important tool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks