• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Droopy" Wipers How to Fix?

mbarber84

Hey all,

I have installed the wiper upgrade kit from Saturn Surplus, now my wipers tend to bounce down in to my field of view as I`m driving down the road. The upgrades seem to be a bit heavier than the stock wiper kits and now they just wont stay up and to the right in, what I call, the "home" position. Are there any tips or tricks to get your wipers to hold the "home" position? Some way of tightening the motor up so that it isn't so "loose"? As it is now, I constantly keep manually cranking them back up to the top right. I did search for this, but none of my searches matched the problem I am facing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ....those darn wipers are really starting to irritate me :evil:

Thanks all!!

mbarber84

Yes dm exactly, I am referring to the wiper "walking" down the window on the outside as I am driving. Eventually coming to rest at a perpendicular orientation in reference to the horizon. Totally annoying....need to fix it......driving me crazy.

I was thinking about just replacing the wiper motors with new trico units, but I hate to spend the money on something that isn't technically broken.

dm22630

I had a similar problem with mine.....it was the wiper motor.....I guess it was leaking air. So, I switched it out & no more problems. I think that you can rebuild them (replace the gasket) & the problem will be solved.

I guess the only other thing you could do, would be to leave the air on that runs the wipers on LOW and it would keep enough pressure in the motors to keep the arms up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yours plastic or metal? Can't hurt to take the passenger(not driver's so you can still drive!) out and see if you can fix it.

mbarber84

I believe mine are plastic. The motors are rather small, narrow cylinder shape. They appear to be original to the truck. I`ll look into taking one off, maybe I can work it out. At the same time, I think I might price out new trico motors. I plan on having the truck for a very long time, might as well refit with new when possible.

Lex_Ordo

I replaced my vaccuum motors with newer ones. I was able to find a few both from folks on line and at a Junkyard.
Well the motors work great, and I too have the Saturn Upgrade kit, and I think it is the cat's meow! They sweep and wipe the window like a car due to their spring loaded arms.
I have found also that the blades drip a little while I'm driving but hey, they're air actuated.
If you don't want to waste the money, a good clean newer set of the vaccuum motors will work fine.