• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drop side Vs .....uhh Non-Dropside?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thta M45A2 was once I fire truck I believe. 530B or 530C as evidenced by the outboard air tanks. Does it still have the heater on the passenger side floor/forewall?

rmgill

rice said:
What are you referring to as an ISO bed?
The 5 Ton ISO bed has taller sides and there are two panels per side, not one. They're largely a USMC thing and they handle 2 6'x6' ISO boxes or one each of a 6'x10' or 6'x12' ISO box. They have an unusual but still ISO type turn lock that you lift, turn 60 degrees and then when the container is dropped on the ISO lock, you then turn it back 90° and that locks the corner down. They recess in the bed when not in use. The USMC ISO bed has provisions for storing the dropside beds and tailgate under the bed between the bed frame rails. There's a panel on the back that comes out to allow one to do so.

If you look at this photo, you can see the 5 ISO locks hanging down below the bed along this one side. You can also see how the bed sections are split and are two panels. This makes them easier to handle. You do still need two people to dismount them, but it's a simple task with someone on the other end. This was the sweetest thing on this truck aside from it's size :) (which was also it's biggest pain :shock: ).

Attachments

rmgill

Oh, if you look close, the Upper part of the troop seat backs stow under the bed on the side of the bed side frame with a couple of straps. You can see them just under the bed with a few of the square metal tubes hanging down just behind the rear tandems.

spicergear

I've pulled beds off three times now by my little ole lonesome. Not too bad a job with a good sling. It's amusing for me because I have to stand in the bed while I pull on the chain hoist and lift it AND ME off the truck. Heh,heh...never claimed to be smart-

spicergear

A large barn beam. Then a cable looped twice around it. Then a 1 ton chain hoist. Then a special 3 leg certified chain sling. I use two of the legs and hook right into the second from the rear on each side pocket then use a chain through the sling to grab the front second back two pockets. Up she comes!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Spicer, the next time y9ou swap a bed, take some pics of your hoist mechanism. I think I see what you're saying, but it's early and the coffee hasn't started flowing :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks