• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drop tank for rear bumper brackets? (M1009)

Does anyone happen to know if the fuel tank needs to be removed to remove the rear bumper brackets on an M1009? I am thinking about making my own bumper but would need to remove all the original components. Thanks!:D

cucvrus

The rear bumper outer brackets are 7/16 X 14. The have caged nuts that are integrated into the rear cab mount isolators. They are usually rusted to the point that the bolts/nuts will break before they come loose. In the event that happens you will need to eliminate the nuts. I have used 1/2" nuts with a small section of flat steel welded to them to act as a wrench when tightening the brace bolts. You can also reach in and get nuts on with the bumper off and reattach the braces before the bumper. tricky challenging work. But easy enough. May I suggest power tools. Cordless / pneumatic impact. Hard ratchet never happen without a box of band-aids. The torch works best. Being careful. A torch is only as unsafe as the operator. I have been welding on new vehicles for 30 years. Some fuel tanks are 3'' from the welds on the frames. Very carefully. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks