• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dropped bolt.

rsh4364

After 20k trouble free miles, my 1009 decides to snap and drop a starter bolt,Let the fun begin,LOL..Of course Im watching football and drinking beer so cant go get my backup work car.Might have to drive my 10mpg hotrod or take tomorrow off..expect the unexpected guys!

Last edited:

2002ford

I just did one. I used a set from Mac tools. It contained a collet that centered the drill bit while you drill. I just used a normal right hand twist bit. Once you get a hole drilled you tap a splined rod into it and attach another collet to the end of it. Then you just turn it out with a wrench. Mine just come out by hand once I got the rod into it. I also tried the acetone/tranny fluid penetrating oil. Good luck.

rsh4364

I just did one. I used a set from Mac tools. It contained a collet that centered the drill bit while you drill. I just used a normal right hand twist bit. Once you get a hole drilled you tap a splined rod into it and attach another collet to the end of it. Then you just turn it out with a wrench. Mine just come out by hand once I got the rod into it. I also tried the acetone/tranny fluid penetrating oil. Good luck.
Thanks for the input 2002ford

2deuce

I had starter bolts break off, but the piece that is left up in there is not under stress and should just spin out in less than a minute of work. Use an ice pick or something similar, catch an edge of the broken piece. If the threads are damaged by drilling you have a bigger job, much bigger.

rsh4364

Dropped starter this afternoon,not enough bur left to use icepick technique,gonna get some left hand drill bits,and another guy on here used a 1/4 drive socket as a guide to drill hole in center of bolt,sounds like it should work.

rsh4364

Was a good day today,stopped at postoffice and my starter bolts arrived ahead of schedule,braved the wind and 25 degree temps. and got broken bolt removed using lefthand drill bit,worked good guys,thanks,reinstalled new GM bolts with threadlock and new support bracket! She started pretty good for sitting 20 days in the cold,was a pleasure to drive again.

scottladdy

Suggestion: Check you brake lines while you are at it. After all these years they can rust out. Very discomforting to have your brakes fail just when you need them.

rsh4364

Scoottladdy you a mind reader? My passenger side rear line is leaking under pressure where it threads into wheel cylinder,already have new preformed brake lines.getting tired of adding 1$ an ounce of purple gold dot 5.So when I do brakes it will be all new.My front brake job was new hydroboost,master,calipers pads.