• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dropside Bed questions

opie65

With the Drop Side Bed, can you run with the Tailgate Down?

How about in the extended (Horizontal) position?

Troop Ladder still work?

Thanks!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the Drop Side Bed, can you run with the Tailgate Down?

How about in the extended (Horizontal) position?

Troop Ladder still work?

Thanks!
1) I would not...obscures view of stop lights and bangs around.
2) Yes; secured by the chains
3) if you mean whether you can use the troop ladder when the tail gate is in the horizontal position - yes

steelandcanvas

Yes you can run w/ the tailgate down, and horizontal position, although my tailgate does not lay a true horizontal. I don't have a boarding ladder, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Castle Bravo (classifieds) has the dropside brackets, just in case you need them, I bought one from him last wek.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree about NOT running with it in the down position. You can run with it hung from the chains, but you need to make a spacer to fit in the T bolts so that it doesn't bounce them out. They don't tighten up enough on their own to keep it in position.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the noisiest frickin bed known to man. I threaten to dispose of mine any time I drive the truck. I've only dropped the sides one time. Mine has hooks on the tailgate instead of the T-bolts. I do have them in the tool box if needed.

rlwm211

My Deuce is a drop side. I find the convenience of the drop sides invaluable.

When I want to have the tailgate horizontal, I found at first that the chains and T bolts are too short to allow that. I use a clevis to extend the T-Bolt to the slot where the T bolt goes and that allows the gate to be level and there is some minor adjustment available with the threaded handle to make sure both chains hold the same tension.

The Clevis I have are from tractor supply and are 1/2" if I am not mistaken. I put the hoop part of the clevis around the T Bolt and the pin through the slot. Generally the handle is in the down position. It is dark at this point, but tomorrow morning I will snap a photo of my setup.

RL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that's the way to go. How do you change from one to the other? Did you use a carabiner type connection?
When I bought it from President Bush it had the hooks. Gimpy gave me the t-bolts. I just use them without the chain when I need them. I think they used a cold shut link on the chains.