• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drove M35A3 from PA to Bangor, ME

dkconfiguration

Just drove a 1996 M35A3 from southwestern PA to Bangor ME this past weekend (600+ miles). I also picked up an M103a3 trailer which was just 20 minutes south of the truck location before heading north to Bangor. Aside from being boring and grueling at 50mph the whole way, the toll at the George Washington Bridge in NYC was an astounding $60.00 for the truck w/ trailer. A few other toll locations tried to wave us through thinking we were National Guard, but we stopped.

I noticed that halfway through the trip the engine seemed to smooth out and I was able to get 50mph at just over 2500 RPM instead of the 2600-2700 RPM which was originally needed to get to 50-51mph when we started out. My rough calculations indicate that I was getting 8 or 9 mpg, which seems ok at that speed hauling a trailer.

The tires needed to be aired up (to different degrees) when we picked it up and I was told that these needed to be aired up about once a year by the seller. After 3 days, this seems to hold true except on one which has lost 25psi since being filled to 80 at pick up. The CTIS wiring harness was not connected, and I wondered if having this disconnected for extended periods had anything to do with maintaining inflation levels? Do people take these 14.5R20 tires to get patched at commercial truck tire places if it turns out to be a hole, or if not, then what/where?

Overall experience and truck/trailer performance was excellent for the whole transaction and trip.

Last edited:

dkconfiguration

The tire pressure I had in these was just north of 75 psi for the long trip home, and seemed ok. I am just noticing though that the CTIS wants 45psi for highway (which I don't have hooked up anyway), though most people seem to recommend 55 - 60 psi because of some issue with redlining the wheels above 60psi. What should I know about this for typical psi level? I used the search to try and find previous threads but got tons of random results. Thanks

brianp454

I have an M35A2 with 365\80R20's, which are the metric equivalent to the 14.5's on the A3. I'm finding that 41 psi in the rears and 45 psi in the front results in about 2" from both sides not even touching the ground. I would like to hear from folks with A3 trucks that have the CTIS removed or disabled. I haven't found anything of vaule in the A3 TM either.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
45 PSI for highway is about it , rim is only safe for 60 PSI , you were VERY LUCKY on the drive home . You need to read all the TM's on these vehicles . BTW , as stated , you either have a leaking valve stem and/or O ring leaking , get used to it , common problem on this type of wheel and tire and has nothing to do with the CTIS being disconnected . Best thing you can do is remove the CTIS system and install A2 bearings and seals , much easier system then replacing a very expensive CTIS wheel bearing . good luck , Bob k

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 60 psi in my A3 tires. It drives much better and gets better mileage. The Michelin tires are good for 80 psi, but the wheels as previously mentioned are red-lined at 60 psi. I talked to CM Automotive and they told me that the reason the CTIS limits the highway pressure to 45 psi is that if it is set for a higher pressure it will cause the seals on the axle to fail prematurely. I have no idea if they will still do it but previously CM Automotive would re-program the CTIS control box for higher highway pressure for free. I believe some on here have taken advantage of that, but not me. Once the wheel o-rings and especially the valve stem grommets are replaced, the tires virtually never lose pressure.

AnonymousOne

After 3 days, this seems to hold true except on one which has lost 25psi since being filled to 80 at pick up.
I would guess that the O-Ring or Air Pipe gasket in the rim gave out at 80psi.

Though I agree with many that these things are rated for 50 - 60 PSI and most likely can handle double that because of the gov spec buffer but at 10 years old .. I doubt it can stand up to 80psi consistantly.

Welcome to the insanity of $60 tolls for a hobby :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks