• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drum to hub safety wire help

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve been looking at pictures on the site of how to safety wire the drums to hubs as it was missing when doing maintenance. I’ve never done this before and for some reason cannot grasp how it’s done in the pics/tm/ps magazine articles. Does the way I’ve done it look even remotely correct? can anyone recommend a good video or other resource to master this concept?

thanks all

Attachments

sue

I’ve been looking at pictures on the site of how to safety wire the drums to hubs as it was missing when doing maintenance. I’ve never done this before and for some reason cannot grasp how it’s done in the pics/tm/ps magazine articles. Does the way I’ve done it look even remotely correct? can anyone recommend a good video or other resource to master this concept?

thanks all
Wire should keep torque on fasteners. in other word, wire should keep
bolts pulling tighter. Your picture shows a few pulling “looser”

sue

thanks all
My apologies for making it clear as mud? Your safety wire would be great
if they where left hand thread bolts

87cr250r

The part that everyone misses is the direction of the twist. It's clockwise for the first, counter clockwise for the second. It continues to alternate if you are joining additional fasteners. The second video does this incorrectly.

The goal is that the wire that wraps around the head of the bolt passes under the part of the wire that enters the drilled hole.

87cr250r

The pliers are available in clockwise and ccw rotations. If you're only tying pairs of fasteners you can do the ccw manually but if you're doing larger groups of fasteners you may want both directions.

If you expect your tie wire to see any exposure to salt then monel wire should be used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks