• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dry cut metal saw question

jimmy-90

Hello all I have been looking into get a decent chop saw recently and came across something called a dry cut metal saw in the northern tool catalog that is on sale. Down at the local steel supplier they have a big comercial cold saw to cut all the steel orders with and im familiar with that type of saw but the dry cut metal one doesnt quite seem to be the same thing all though the blade looks similar. I was wondering if any of you guys are useing a dry cut metal saw or know if they are any better than a regular chop saw?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I used one when I was doing the iron worker thing (was supposed to be a crane op) worked great, not for thick metal, or torch cut jobs, DO NOT FORCE, let the saw cut, for plate, up to 1/2" , tubing, hand rails, beams (as long as both t/b cuts meet for a h beam, angle, ect

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a chop saw has it's place, a cold cut saw has its place, GET both

Nonotagain

I have a 14" abrasive cut-off saw made by Milwaukie and it works well for 1/4" thick box wall tubing. Anything thicker and it goes on the hydraulic band saw.

At work we typically use a fluid cooled/lubricated horizontal band saw.

The higher priced saws have cast bases while the lesser priced units are stamped steel. The cast base models being more rigid make straighter cuts.

goldneagle

If you are talking about a carbide blade version of a chop saw then I can tell you it rules! It cuts a lot cooler and cleaner. Also the size of the blade does not shrink. Kind of like the difference between an abrasive blade and a diamond blade for cutting concrete. The abrasive blade has to be replace frequently, and makes a mess.

If you let the blade do the work it will cut through steel like butter. i have a circular saw that has the same type of blade for sheets or portability. Milwaukee makes a special circular saw for cutting metal. It has a compartment for storing the metal granules from the cut.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know nothing about that saw, thought you WERE talking about the skill saw type of metel cutting saw.

goldneagle

That is the same type of saw I have. Mine is a DeWalt, but Milwaukee also has the same one. THe one you have the link to is a generic copy.

jimmy-90

That is the same type of saw I have. Mine is a DeWalt, but Milwaukee also has the same one. THe one you have the link to is a generic copy.
Is this type of saw good for cutting cold rolled and or chrome molley tubing. Somewhere along the way im planning to build a couple roll cages and need something that will cut cold rolled electric welded tubing. Probly wont actually fool with chrome molley anytime soon since I don't have a tig welded but id like to know if it will cut that just in case I run across some and try yo cut it up for whatever reason.

metal tech

The saw your looking at will cut 4130 easily. I have the Milwaukee version, and I'm on it's original blade. The only thing with this type chop saw is the chips that get throw by the blade, very sharp, sweep up after cutting to prevent tracking the chips into the house.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friend of mine has a fab shop and has several of them. The first one was almost given to him by our supplier, after using it the first day, he bought several and even take them on the job site. They work wonders as long as you do not force them through, just let them slowly do the job. Yes, they produce sharp chips and you need to make sure you use a set of safety glasses! Only bad thing is the cost of the replacement blades!

jimmy-90

I was looking at a reconditioned Milwaukee version of that saw. It cost $100.00 or so more dollars but it is probly well worth it. Me and my father have always used Milwaukee tools. He has three Milwaukee drills that he used everyday at work before he retired. They are almost as old as I am and im 37. Those drills don't look new but they still work like they are brand new. I still use them on jobs that the Dewalt cordless is not up to. Lol I also priced a blade for the Milwaukee saw.....It costs about as much as that entire Northern Tool saw does. Im thinking im gonna go for it sometime in the next week or two and order the Milwaukee saw. Thanks for all the help with this guys.

truck1

I've got the Dewalt 14" version cold cut saw. Got it on CL used but almost new for 170$. Works great, but as other posters said GO SLOW. I found carbide blades called "Diablo " on line for 40$. The Dewalt blades are 3 times that price . I bought 2 and have done a few fab jobs with very little blade wear. I believe they are good hobby , home shop metal saws. Definitely better than an abrasive carborundum style blade- very few sparks:mrgreen:. The RPM's on these saws are much lower than a wood chop saw which prevents using carbide metal cutting blades on them. Great saws for angle iron, rectangular tubing up to 1/4 in.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great saws We have two that we use to fab with all the time would not be without one now. go slow and they will cut up to 1/2" no problem.

jimmy-90

Figured I would update this thread. Well I went ahead and got enough money together to buy a brand new Milwaukee 6190-20 dry cut machine last month. I got the thing, read the instructions, and set it up but when I went to start cutting the thing started acting up right away. All I was able to do was cut off a couple pieces of scg. 40 gas pipe to test it before it broke 2 teeth off and jumped soo hard it somehow damaged the shroud over the blade. I suspect that the blade they sent with it must have been slightly warped to cause it to do that. On the few pieces of pipe I was able to cut it was leaving a huge bur at the bottom of the cuts. Anyhow I sent it back and got another. This one works unbelievably good. I am very impressed with how perfect of a cut it will make.

jasonjc

Every one is saying not to force it, but don't let bounce either. Use some down force. I've cut a bunch of steel with my Dewalt and love it. Still on the 1st blade, I do have a few chipped teeth thought. Has any one had one sharpen??

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimmy 90, Don't know what brand blade you are using, but have read around the web and found that the Dewalt blades are having problems with their 'new' design. Might want to use another brand.

Jason, To have sharpened, take it by any reputable saw shop and have them sharpened. It all depends on the condition of the blade though...

shannondeese

I use a Milwaukee cold saw, a hand held metal cutting skill saw also by milwaukee, and I use an old Makita chop saw. I will use all 3 in the course of a project. It just depends on what, where, and the angle I am cutting at. They all have their place in a shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks