• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dry pavement traction

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We know that the NDCC's have little traction on wet pavement, but what about DRY pavement? Since slicks are used in various forms of racing wonder how the deuce tires measure up. My guess is that they are better than average on dry asphalt.

I have measured the temperature of the tires with different loads on the bed and an increase of 3 to 5 degrees F is normal. Temp rise is a measure of friction...

Monster Man

I know they sure bring a 14,000 pound truck to a halt when you lock the brakes up, so there must be some traction! :)

Monster Man

from 50MPH, she got a little sideways, but with all that rubber in contact with the road the crisis was averted. Not the best way to stop, but without ABS what can you do? :lol: Did I mention I hate driving that thing in traffic?
ON ANOTHER NOTE-- CAN YOU SEE MY SIGNATURE IN THESE TWO POSTS? For some reason, it looks like it got deleted........

Wyattearp

Your sig is there Monster Man....
I can only imagine trying to stop 14000 lbs and that being empty, talk about heart stopping, but you know what pple that get close to these things on the road, IE tailgater.... tisk tisk that be a no no....
Hitting a deuce in the rear would be worse than hitting a road tractor trailer, More Iron in the rear heheheh
Lets see i know there is a formula for measuring such a force anyone have it or know... 14,000lbs traveling at say 50mph thats a modest speed... Can someone calculate the force on that one trying to come to a dead stop.

Wyattearp

I don't know anyone or anything that could withstand that impact of such magnitudes. Items we take for granit while driving which are rolling around in our vehicles can very easily become deadly projectiles, in our case it could be air ratchet, tool box, etc. be careful guys, if like here, IDIOTS!!!! for some reason think its okay to wait until you get closer or right on top of them before they decide to pull out from a side road, which if im driving the deuce, there SOL.... :roll:

rdixiemiller

If you look at the contact patch on an NDCC tire, there are less square inches than a street tread radial. Accordingly, you will have less dry pavement traction, assuming the same denier (hardness) of the rubber. Most offroad tires wear poorly on pavement, as they are designed for optimal off-road performance. I am not sure, but I imagine that the NDCC is a low performance mud tire. I know they will dig you a grave in soft sand, and are not great on the highway. They are probably good for their original design, which was dirt roads.

M1075

Max speed rating for Michelin 1100-20s (XL or XML) is 68 MPH. Bigger Michelins (395s, 1400s, 1600s) are rated for 55 MPH.

rmgill

I've seen G177's on Deuces and 5 Tons in Service at our one of our Ga ANG armories. Looks good too. At some point I want to get a set of G177s for what ever truck I have at the time I can afford to replace the NDCCs. Too many projects, not enough cash. :shakehead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks